No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

RWB condemns continued attacks on Libyan journalists by “still powerful militias”

bySami Zaptia
September 19, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 19 September 2013:

As Libya prepares to mark the second anniversary of  dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s removal, Reporters Without Borders (RWB) voice  . . .[restrict]alarm about the repeated cases of violence against journalists, which  testify to the difficulties the country is encountering in its  transition to democracy.

“Although the democratic transition is clearly proving  hard to manage, we remind the new Libya that it is subject to national  and international obligations to ensure respect for freedom of  expression and information,” RWB said.

“We urge the authorities to do whatever is necessary to  make sure that journalists are able to work with complete safety.  The protection of the offices of newspapers and TV stations is a minimum  obligation that must be satisfied without delay.”

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government confirms three track security policy: supporting regular army, ending gangs and armed outlaw groups and maintaining stability

Mouta’alleq 3 Project holds Job Fair for ex-militias

Ahmed Abosnina, the Benghazi-based correspondent of privately-owned Al-Nabaa TV, was attacked Tuesday morning while driving to Benghazi airport in the TV station’s vehicle. Two men stopped him, insulted him and hit him  with steel bars. Fortunately, he managed to escape, said RWB.

Abosnina has received repeated threats on his Facebook account because of his work for Al-Nabaa and, previously, for satellite TV stations Al-Jazeera and Libya Al-Ahrar, they added.

Two weeks ago, on 4 September, Al-Wataniya TV chief Tareq Al-Houni and two of his journalists were insulted and hit by members of a local  militia who were supposed to be providing security at the TV station’s  headquarters in Tripoli during a visit by parliamentarian Mohamed Younes Al-Toumi.

The militiamen insulted and attacked Toumi before turning on the three journalists. Houni filed a complaint about the violence but no action has been taken and the militiamen are still occupying Al-Wataniya’s headquarters, claims RWB.

Al-Wataniya’s employees went on strike for several days in April in an attempt to get the government to send members of the regular  armed forces to guard the station instead of this militia, which has  been the station’s self-appointed protector ever since Gaddafi’s  overthrow.

[/restrict]

Tags: mediamilitiaspress freedomreporters without bordersRWB

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Italian delegation to visit Tripoli from 21-24 September

Abdullah Senussi charged in Tripoli court; Saif still in Zintan

Abdullah Senussi charged in Tripoli court; Saif still in Zintan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.