No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya oil production down 70 percent – Arusi

bySami Zaptia
August 1, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya oil production down 70 percent – Arusi

Oil Minister Arusi admited that Libya's oil-exporting metres were defective (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Oil Minister Arusi warned that . . .[restrict]seventy percent of Libya’s production was stopped (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 1 August 2013:

At yesterday’s press conference, Oil Minister Abdelbari Arusi announced that Libya’s oil production is down 70 percent due to armed stoppages at the various oil terminals.

Arusi said that production at Sidra, Ras Lanuf, Brega, and Herega were stopped due to armed industrial action. He said that only 30% was being produced at Zawia.

Together with the Prime Minister, Arusi condemned these armed strikes and blockades that were for purely personal demands, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Libya supplied nearly a quarter of Italy’s total crude oil imports in 2025

Zawia Oil Refining Company prepares to establish 100-million litre industrial oils plant in Benghazi‎

This is affecting the income of all Libyans, they argued. It will affect the life of everyone, including all budgets and projects.

Moreover, Oil Minister Arusi said that without oil there could be no electricity or water  – for the whole of Libya.

Arusi and Zeidan were particularly perplexed and condemned the stoppage at Tobruk’s Hrega terminal. There had been no strike or armed stoppage there, but the Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) soldiers, part of the official Libyan army, had in sympathy with the other armed strikers, closed down the terminal.

The action of the PFG came in for extra criticism by both the PM and the Oil Minister. Zeidan noted that these soldiers are paid and trained by money belonging to the Libyan people, yet now they are using those arms against the Libyan people.

Zeidan highlighted the fact a new head of the PFG was appointed yesterday. He stressed that the former head had handed in his resignation, which he had accepted. He was not sacked. Zeidan implied that the PFG personnel striking at Hrega were doing so in sympathy with their former boss.

The Prime Minister hoped that the new PFG head would act as a soldier and not get engaged in employment affairs. The PFG soldiers should be carrying out the instructions of the government, not those of oil facilities’ employees, he added

Oil Minister Arusi said, with an air of sarcasm, that the definition of PFG job is in the title of their unit – they are supposed to guard oil facilities from outside attacks, not be the cause of the stoppage.

Both the PM and Arusi said that these actions were completely unacceptable and that the Libyan public should not accept them either.

In response to questions from the media as to what action his government was going to take against these armed strikers, Zeidan said that they were in constant contact with them and that negotiations were continuing.

However, he stressed, to the implied question of why was he not using force to prevent armed strikers from stopping 70 percent of its oil production, that the use of arms at or near oil installations could lead to the “burning of all of Libya”.

Zeidan also said that Libya could face fines from oil importers for its failure to deliver contracted oil supplies. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdulbari ArusiAli Zeidanarmed groupsfeaturedoilPetroleum Facilities GuardsPFGPMPrime Ministerproductionstrikes

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Qaddafi Minister sentenced to death by Misrata court

The Medical Supply Organisation should be scrapped – Doughman

The Medical Supply Organisation should be scrapped – Doughman

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.