No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli roads blocked in protest over power cuts

bythomwestcott
July 23, 2013
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Tom Westcott and Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Roads have been blockaded at the Ras Hassan junction in Tripoli (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 23 July 2013:

Tripoli residents, angered by more than 16 hours without electricity, have blockaded . . .[restrict]a major junction until their power is restored.

Makeshift roadblocks have been in place since early this morning at the Ras Hassan junction between Ben Ashur and Ras Hassan. Handwritten signs complained of 16-hour outages and said all the frozen meat bought for Ramadan had defrosted and gone rotten.

“The road is blocked until the electricity comes back on,” another sign read.

RELATED POSTS

REAoL continues installation of solar energy systems in public health centres as part of its Go Green Initiative – urges all public entities to adopt renewables to meet electricity needs

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

Officials and engineers from the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) arrived at Ben Ashur at around 12.30 pm to investigate the problem.

One engineer told the Libya Herald that the Ben Ashur power substation was not working because of a power surge. This, he said, happened after the electricity was switched back on following a “normal” three-hour power cut.

The power surge damaged equipment, causing another, longer outage.

“This happens all the time and could happen in any area,” the engineer said. He added that the problem was now being fixed.

Most shops in the area were closed this morning, unable to function without electricity. A few mechanics sat in the doorways of their darkened workshops, waiting for the electricity to return.

The nearby Swiss-Libyan medical centre was fully-functioning, running lifts, air-conditioning and vital medical equipment off its own generator. Medical Director Mohamed Roujbani told the Libya Herald that power cuts in the area seemed to be much worse than this time last year.

Even side roads leading to the junction were blocked (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)
[/restrict]

Tags: electricityfeaturedLibyapower cutsprotestTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

New forensic centre to help identify missing persons

Opinion: Constitutional Assembly electoral Law blow to inclusivity in post Revolution Libya - LWPP

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.