No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Lawyers slam “alarming” growth of attacks on judiciary

bySami Zaptia
June 19, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji

Tripoli, 19 June 2013:

Acts of violence and retaliation against lawyers and judges have been increasing at “an alarming rate” . . .[restrict]said Lawyers for Justice in Libya today, after the assassination of a Derna judge, the third such murder to occur this year.

Judge Najib Mohamed Huwaidi, was shot dead in a drive-by shooting in front of the local courthouse on Sunday. His slaying follows the killing of Justices Murad Alarouby in Tripoli and Gumma Aljawi in Benghazi.

The murders are only the most egregious acts against the legal profession. LFJL pointed out that earlier this month, lawyer and human rights activist, Hanan Al-Newaisery and her father, the children’s rights activist, Mustafa Al-Newaisry, were assaulted and beaten in front of Misrata’s Zarouk courthouse.  The attacker was allegedly a defendant in a child abuse case. Onlookers did nothing to stop the assaults which took place in broad daylight.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba vows to impose justice, law and order – puts militias on notice

Continued, targeted arrests and subsequent sentencing of unprecedent thousands of criminals since 2011 created deterrence against crime: Attorney General

Newaisry was then kidnapped and further assaulted said LFJL, adding that Hana Newaisery had previously informed authorities of threats made to her including rape but that no action had been taken.

“Acts of violence and retaliation against lawyers and judges have increased at an alarming rate across the country” said LFJL Director Elham Saudi, “ as individuals have resorted to violence to take the law into their own hands.  These attacks signify a great threat to the establishment of the rule of law, and disrupt any progress being made to re-build the country’s already fraught judicial system.

Saudi continued: “It is the role of the legal community to uphold the rule of law. Any attack on members of the legal community, is an attack on the fundamental principles of the rule of law and the right to access to justice. It could have the potential to silence victims, in particular vulnerable victims of human rights abuses, and could discourage lawyers and judges from taking controversial cases. This ultimately sends the message that violence is above the rule of law. If we are to overcome these attacks, and build trust in our judicial system, the perpetrators of these violent attacks must be held accountable.”

Saudi called for tighter court security  and protection for lawyers and judges, at a time when they are seeking to rebuild the judicial system.

“No person should be prevented from going to work because of fear of attack” said Saudi, “When this happens to lawyers and judges, it not only breaches their right to physical safety but also holds hostage the ability of other persons to access justice and to enforce their own rights.” [/restrict]

Tags: judgesJusticelawyersLFJLviolence

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libyan Food Expo strong on its third day

Libyan Food Expo strong on its third day

UN told that Libya’s transition will remain difficult and that Political Isolation Law violates civil rights.

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.