No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Port delays leave agricultural fair half-empty on opening night

bythomwestcott
May 6, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Port delays leave agricultural fair half-empty on opening night

Tunisian and Libyan stalls were up-and-running at Agro-Libya this evening, but 63 Turkish stands remained empty as the companies waited for their container of goods to be released from Khoms port (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

By Tom Westcott.

Tunisian and Libyan exhibitors were ready for the opening of Agro-Libya this afternoon, but 63 Turkish stands remained empty as companies waited for their container of goods to be released from the port of Khoms (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 6 May 2013:

Tripoli’s annual agricultural fair opened tonight with half the stands completely empty after a shipping container . . .[restrict]carrying the wares of 63 Turkish companies was held by customs at the port of Khoms.

The companies, exhibiting at the sixth Agro-Libya Food and Fishing Exhibition, shared the cost of transporting their goods from Turkey by using a single container. Since its arrival several days ago at Khoms, the container has been held up by Libya customs officials who, it is claimed, refused to release the shipment.

Tonight, the organisers of Agro-Libya had to explain to the Minister of Agriculture, Ahmed Ayad Ali Al-Urfi, the Minister of Water Resources, Hadi Henshir, and the Tunisian Ambassador in Tripoli, Reza Abukati, who were there to officially open the exhibition, why it looked as though it were still under construction for its opening ceremony.

RELATED POSTS

Greece to launch a shipping line between Athens and Benghazi

Tatweer and EU launch AgroLab entrepreneurship and innovation programme in south

The organisers say they had complied with customs’ demands, preparing and sending an official letter, but that the authorities had not made up their minds over whether to release the container. They apparently claim that the fault lay with the Turkish shipping company.

“This is a big problem” project manger for Agro-Libya Rola Ajjawi told the Libya Herald at 4 pm this afternoon. “The fair opens at 6 pm and many of the companies have not yet been able to set up their stands because of these customs’ procedures.”

The container was finally released this evening and arrived at Tripoli International Fairground at around 8 pm. The Turkish companies, Ajjawi said, will now have to spend the night unpacking their goods and setting up their stands in preparation for tomorrow.

Old-fashioned and tardy customs’ procedures at Libya’s ports continue to plague businesses and charities importing goods to the country. A container of donated medical supplies, sent by the Canada-based charity BC Camp for Libya, was held at Tripoli port for over a year because of problems with customs.

One of the organisers for Libya Build, which is currently setting up its largest ever fair at the capital’s Sports City, told the Libya Herald today that shipping the equipment for the exhibition had been its biggest worry. “Shipping is always the main concern in Libya,” he said, “so we made sure everything arrived early, at the beginning of April”. [/restrict]

Tags: agriculturefeaturedKhomsLibyaport delaysshippingTurkey

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Fake Egyptian surgeon arrested in Khoms

Reports of four key ministerial resignations denied

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.