No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya ordered to pay €1 million to Palestinian doctor in HIV case

byNigel Ash
April 3, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Nigel Ash

Dr Ashraf el Hagoug, served eight years in HIV case

Tripoli, 3 April 2013:

A Dutch court has ordered Libya to pay a Palestinian doctor €1 million in damages for . . .[restrict]his eight years of imprisonment after being falsely accused by the Qaddafi regime of infecting 400 Libyans with the HIV virus.

The doctor, Ashraf el-Hagoug had brought the case in the Netherlands where he now lives. If Libya does not pay promptly the amount awarded to Hagoug by the civil court in the Hague, his lawyers say that they will raise the matter with the Dutch foreign ministry or failing that, the EU.

In 1998, Hagoug, then a medical intern and five Bulgarian nurses were convicted of deliberately infecting the children at the El-Fatih Children’s Hospital in Benghazi, where they worked, allegedly in an attempt to start an HIV epidemic. Originally 17 other foreign medical staff and 11 Libyans were arrested but all were later released.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The court heard confessions from the remaining six, which they later each claimed had been extracted under torture and as a result of threats made against their families. All were sentenced to death, later commuted to life imprisonment. In 2007 as a result of considerable pressure from Brussels, the group was deported to Bulgaria on condition that they serve the rest of their jail terms in that country. Flown out of Libya in a French aeroplane, there was considerable anger in Tripoli that the Bulgarian government promptly pardoned all six and released them.

Though privately senior Libyan health experts have admitted that the idea of a conspiracy to start an HIV epidemic seems far fetched, they point out that the outbreak was an exceptional event. Outside reports concluded that the spread of the virus had come about through poor hygiene and procedures, such as the reuse of syringes.

Hagoug and his team have condemned the Libya government for blaming the events on the old regime and accused Tripoli of “trying to evade its responsibilities”.

Within the next week, Hagoug’s lawyers are also expecting a decision on a second case against Libya that he has  brought before the UN Human Rights Commission. “Thus” said his lawyer Liesbeth Zegveld, ” we won’t just have the Dutch verdict but also an international decision on this question” she told Radio Netherlands Worldwide last night, Tuesday. [/restrict]

Tags: Ashraf el HagougBulgarian nursesfeaturedHIV caseLibya

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Lawyers for Justice demands government arrest Al-Andalusi Mausoleum bombers

Lawyers for Justice demands government arrest Al-Andalusi Mausoleum bombers

SSC gunmen threaten to release Jadaida Prison inmates

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.