No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan students occupy embassy in Malaysia in grant cut protest

byNigel Ash
September 22, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Desperate post-graduate students outside the . . .[restrict]Kuala Lumpur embassy

Kuala Lumpur, 12 October 2012:

Angry students are occupying Libya’s embassy in Kuala Lumpur in protest at government cuts to their scholarship funding.

The protest started outside the embassy this Tuesday but heavy rain forced the 70 students inside and they are now occupying part of the building. The protestors have emphasised that their demonstration has been completely peaceful.

However, the embassy has been surrounded by police who are trying to prevent more students from joining the protest. “If you leave the embassy you are not being allowed to go back,” Ali L. Elgayar, the president of the group, ‘Libyan Students in Malaysia,’ told Libya Herald. He added: “Even those bringing food and water are not allowed to come back in.”

The students, whose qualifications and future careers are threatened by the cuts, began their protest on Tuesday. Some in the building have now begun a hunger strike.

RELATED POSTS

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

The students told Libya Herald their scholarships have been cut completely, leaving them stranded two-thirds of the way through post-graduate courses.

“The ministry of higher education suddenly terminated the scholarships of Libyan students” said Elgayar. Funding for PhDs, for instance, now only covers 24 months, when the minimum period at all Malaysian universities is three years.

Since the beginning of October, scholarship students have not received a single penny.

Elgayar complained that the cuts affected students’ lives in every way. “They can’t continue their studies because they can’t pay for their accommodation, tuition fees, food or transportation.”

Elgayer vowed that the protest would continue until the students’ demands had been met and the funding reinstated.

There are around 4,500 Libyans studying at universities in Malaysia. Of these 300 are in receipt of scholarships and are affected by the cuts, apparently made under the Ministry of Education’s Decree number 34-2011.

The problems faced by scholarship students in Malaysia seem far from exceptional. It is believed more than 1,500 students worldwide are affected by these government cuts. Protests are being staged at other Libyan embassies, and one is planned for next month in London. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Do not forget Qaddafi-era victims, say lawyers

Do not forget Qaddafi-era victims, say lawyers

UNSMIL says authorities must allow supplies into Bani Walid

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.