No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Air defense colonel killed in Benghazi

byNihal Zaroug
September 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Nihal Zaroug.

Tripoli, 10 September:

Another senior military official who . . .[restrict]served in the Qaddafi regime has been murdered in Benghazi.  Colonel Badr Khamis Al-Obedi was assassinated by unknown gunmen today, Monday, as he left the city’s Saida Aisha mosque after prayers.

A commander at the air defense base in Benghazi, Obeidi was shot several times in the chest and head  from a semi-automatic rifle in a “drive-by” attack. He was immediately taken to the intensive care unit at Hawari hospital but died a few hours later.

RELATED POSTS

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Witnesses say that there were three people in the car from which the shots came, a white Hyundai Elantra.

This is at least the 14th assassination so far this year of current and former military officers. Earlier last month, Brigadier-General Mohammed Al-Fitouri was gunned down as he too left afternoon prayers in Benghazi.

It is the 15th if the death of Colonel Juma Al-Kadiki earlier this month is included. He died instantly when explosives went off in his car. However, it is thought that it may have been an accident.

A drive-by shooting of the victim as he leaves a mosque after prayers, seems to have become the killers’ prime method of operation.

Staff at the Benghazi air base have condemned the killing of Al-Obeidi according to Colonel Mohamed Al-Anaizi from the air defense’s office of information and documentation. They said that members of the military would continue to defending Libya despite attempts to terrorise and kill them.

An official statement would be released shortly said Anaizi.

In a recent interview, outgoing Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Kib blamed the recent wave of assassinations on Qaddafi loyalists. However it has been alleged that extremists are to blame for the killings and that they are working on a ‘hit list’ of former officers and officials from the old regime.

The Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani last month issued a fatwa condemning the assassinations as “heinous crimes”, saying their was no justification for such attacks “regardless of motive”.

With input by Maha Ellawati in Benghazi.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Injured revolutionaries target Health Ministry

UPDATE – Three Misrata men kidnapped by Bani Walid freed following Magarief intervention

UPDATE - Three Misrata men kidnapped by Bani Walid freed following Magarief intervention

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.