No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Handicap International campaigns to raise awareness of gun-related injuries

byGeorge Grant
August 9, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Handicap International campaigns to raise awareness of gun-related injuries

A young militiamen is shown the dangers of weapons proliferation and gun-related injuries (Photo: Umar Khan)

By Umar Khan.

A young militiamen in Tripoli’s Martyrs Square is shown the dangers of weapons proliferation and gun-related injuries (Photo: Umar Khan)

Tripoli, 9 August:

With armed violence continuing to blight Tripoli from time-to-time, civil society groups are pushing hard to reduce . . .[restrict]the number of weapons on the capital’s streets in an effort to reduce the number of gun-related casualties.

In recent weeks, there have been several mass demonstrations and rallies calling for an organised withdrawal of weapons from the streets.

Handicap International (HI), an NGO, is amongst those groups working to highlight the dangers of the proliferation of arms and removing explosive remnants of war from affected areas. HI has erected numerous billboards across different cities raising awareness about small arms and light weapons.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

As part of their ongoing campaign, HI hosted an iftar event in Martyrs Square on 8 August where they also gave away tTshirts with ‘I’m a Libyan and I’m against weapons’ slogan printed on them and leaflets discussing the dangers of weapons proliferation.

The HI stand appeared very busy as people lined up to get their stickers and demonstrate their support for the issue. Many people said that there can be no security with all the weapons in the hands of ordinary people.

Shane Brady, project manager of the HI, told the Libya Herald about the seriousness of the issue, revealing that there already have been hundreds of cases of stray bullets causing injury to civilians this year.

“More than 1,100 cases of gun related incidents have been treated in Tripoli Medical Center and Abu Salim Hospital so far this year. Libya is in danger of reaching endemic level of gun problem. The whole Libyan community should work together to solve this issue.”

Brady also said that HI was working closely with the Libyan authorities to raise public awareness about the issue.

“We are working with the Ministry of Education to train the teachers to educate their students about the dangers of weapons. We are also working with civil society on raising awareness and encouraging people in safer behavior when it comes to small weapons.”

There have been several shooting incidents in Tripoli over the past few weeks where people used heavy weapons to settle their personal disputes.

The presence of weapons in large numbers in civilian hands is largely attributed to the 17th February revolution, as the people raided the military bases to arm themselves in order to fight Qaddafi’s forces.

Since the end of the revolution, there has been little or no progress in getting those weapons back because of the still-weak security infrastructure and the failure of the interim authorities to undertake a concerted effort towards civilian disarmament.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Libya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Magarief elected as Speaker of National Congress

Magarief elected as Speaker of National Congress

Sudanese imports send Kufra meat prices plummeting

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.