No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UK police to arrive in Tripoli this week to pursue WPC Fletcher murder

byGeorge Grant
November 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UK police to arrive in Tripoli this week to pursue WPC Fletcher murder

British Foreign Secretary William Hague with NTC Deputy Chairman Salem Qanan

By George Grant.

Tripoli, 16 July 2012:

British Foreign Secretary William Hague (right) with NTC Deputy Chairman Salem Qanan (Photo: George Grant)

A team from the UK’s Metropolitan Police will fly to Libya later this week to continue investigations . . .[restrict]into the murder of WPC Yvonne Fletcher, the British foreign secretary announced today.

Speaking in Tripoli, William Hague confirmed that he had discussed the case with Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib, who authorised a previous visit to Libya by Scotland Yard last month.

“The next stage of the investigation will continue the work done in recent weeks”, Hague said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“We have been very pleased with the cooperation received from the [Libyan] prosecutor general, who has appointed a prosecutor and an investigator. The next visit by the police will take place here next week”.

On Sunday, Libyan officials named Salah Eddin Khalifa, a pro-Qaddafi student present in the Libyan Embassy in London at the time of WPC Fletcher’s murder in 1984, as the possible killer.

WPC Fletcher is the only one of the 37 police officers murdered in Britain over the past 30 years whose case remains unsolved.

Hague refused to go into details about the investigation, in particular with regards to the British Government’s handling of Musa Kusa, Qaddafi’s former foreign minister, who defected to Britain last year.

“This investigation is being pursued by the Metropolitan Police”, Hague said. “It’s obviously not subject to political interference”.

Kusa has been described as “Qaddafi’s black box”, and the man most likely to hold answers to the case.

Shortly after his arrival in the UK on 30 March last year, Kusa was permitted to leave the country and he now lives in Qatar.

Earlier today, the Libya Herald met with the newly-appointed Libyan prosecutor, Shaban Habeshi, in an attempt to gather more details about the case.

Sitting in a smoke-filled office with no visible sign of activity, Habeshi said he had not yet seen the file and refused to answer further questions.

Although the Libyan government has said publicly that it is vigorously pursuing the case, the Libyan official who named the new suspect as Khalifa told this paper yesterday that solving WPC Fletcher’s murder was not a high priority.

“This case is not a priority one for us”, said Ashur Al-Shamis, a senior advisor to Al-Kib. “At the moment, our focus must be dealing with immediate issues and crisis management”.

Al-Kib has insisted that Libya is taking the case seriously and has apologised for any reports from members of his team that suggested otherwise. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaUKWilliam HagueWPC Yvonne Fletcher

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Libyan involved in assault on Egyptian police

Italian trawlers released but questions remain

Italian trawlers released but questions remain

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.