No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Scotland Yard plan to work with Libya on 1984 Fletcher Murder

byNigel Ash
June 15, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Scotland Yard plan to work with Libya on 1984 Fletcher Murder

Al-Kib honours PC Fletcher last month

Tripoli, 15 June:

British police, following a three-day visit by two senior detectives to Libya this week, have declined to comment on . . .[restrict]the progress of their investigation into the 1984 murder of PC Yvonne Fletcher.

A Scotland Yard spokesman told Libya Herald last night, “As a policy we don’t make any comment, especially on overseas investigations. But you shouldn’t read anything into that.”

Fletcher was shot dead by gunfire from the Libyan Embassy (then the Libyan Peoples’ Bureau) during a protest in St James’ Square, London. She was policing a protest organised by the anti-Qaddafi Libyan National Salvation Front, when she was fatally shot in the stomach and died later in hospital.

Ten Libyan demonstrators were also injured in the incident. An 11-day siege of the Embassy ensued, ending only when all 30 Libyan diplomats were allowed to leave the country.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

However, the British police have never closed the case.

This is the first time since Fletcher’s murder that UK police have been allowed to come to Libya, and follows the London visit in May of interim prime minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib, where he visited the memorial to Fletcher and laid a wreath of white roses and carnations.

Al-Kib honours PC Fletcher last month

The Detective Inspector and Detective Superintendent from the Metropolitan Police Service’s Counter Terrorism Command spent three days in the capital holding preliminary discussions with Libyan officials and looking at ways they could work together to take the investigations forward.

In a statement, Scotland Yard said, “We hope these preliminary discussions will pave the way for the MPS and Libyan authorities to work jointly to identify who was responsible for WPC Fletcher’s murder in 1984.”

Matouk Mohammed Matouk is the only suspect in the case strongly believed to still be alive. Another suspect, Abdulgader Baghdadi, was reportedly killed in Tripoli last year. A third implicated in the murder, Omar Sodani, was captured by rebels but his fate remains unclear. Abdulmagid Salah Ameri, a junior diplomat identified in 2011 as the gunman who shot Fletcher, is believed to have died.

Matouk went on to became a prominent figure in the Qaddafi government. He served as the minister for education and then the minister for housing and construction. He was living near Tripoli but fled before the capital fell.

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Libyan pilots strike slated for 12 hours on Saturday

Libyan pilots strike slated for 12 hours on Saturday

Indian government partially lifts emigration embargo to Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.