No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan arrested over UK policewoman’s murder, 31 years ago

byNigel Ash
November 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libyan arrested over UK policewoman’s murder, 31 years ago

Murdered London police officer Yvonne Fletcher (photo: Scotland Yard)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Murdered London police officer Yvonne Fletcher (photo: Scotland Yard)
Murdered London police officer Yvonne Fletcher (Photo: Scotland Yard)

Tripoli, 19 November 2015:

British police have detained a Libyan in the UK in connection with the fatal shooting . . .[restrict]of a policewoman outside the Libyan embassy in London in April 1984.

Scotland yard said that the arrest of the man, in his 50s, was a “significant development” in its enquiry into the murder of police constable Yvonne Fletcher, which was  revived after the collapse of the Qaddafi regime.  The man, who has not been named by police, was also held, along with a woman in her 40s and a man in his 30s on suspicion of money laundering.

It is being reported by Libyan social media that the arrested man is Salah Ibrahim.  However, reliable UK sources simply give his name as Mabrouk. Ibrahim, a former revolutionary guard, was the Qaddafi education minister who banned the teaching of English in schools.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Business Fair to be held on 20 November in London

Poland is preparing to reopen its embassy in Tripoli

The murder of the 25 year-old police woman was committed in St James’ Square outside what was then known as the Libyan Peoples’ Bureau. She had been among police containing an anti-Qaddafi demonstration across the street, when a volley of shots was fired from the first floor of the building. Fletcher was hit in the back and died later in hospital.

There followed an 11-day siege of the embassy before it was agreed that the Libyan envoys, who enjoyed diplomatic immunity,  would be allowed to leave. No arrests were made. A Scotland Yard source this evening cautioned that the killer might not necessarily have been among those who marched defiantly out of the building at the end of the siege. He pointed out that there had been  time before the embassy and the square had been secured by police, for the culprit to have slipped away.

The UK immediately broke off diplomatic relations with Libya. In 1999 Qaddafi agreed to pay compensation to the Fletcher family and said he would cooperate with a British police probe. However little came of this. However, after the Revolution, London renewed its approaches and in 2012 British police began a series of visits to Tripoli. a €71,000 reward has been offered for information that secures a conviction. [/restrict]

Tags: 1984EMBASSYfeaturedLibyalondonMabroukSalah IbrahimYvonne Fletcher

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Misratans freed by Ghneiwa as Ghariani tells them to quit Tripoli

Misratans freed by Ghneiwa as Ghariani tells them to quit Tripoli

Anti-Misrata council protests directed by Brotherhood say local officials

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.