No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Still no word on abducted Olympics chief as London Games loom

byGeorge Grant
July 19, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Still no word on abducted Olympics chief as London Games loom

There has been widespread speculation that Elalem's abduction may be linked to his past associations with Mohammed Qaddafi (Photo: George Grant)

By George Grant.

Tripoli, 19 July:

There has been widespread speculation that Elalem’s abduction may be linked to his past associations with Mohammed Qaddafi (Photo: George Grant)

Demonstrators gathered outside the prime minister’s office today demanding action from the government to secure the release . . .[restrict]of Nabil Elalem, president of the Libyan Olympic Committee, who was abducted from his car by armed gunmen on Sunday.

With less than a week to go until the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games, both the identity of Elalem’s captors and his whereabouts remain unknown.

Libya is sending five athletes to the games, which begin on 27 July, and Elalem had been due to fly to London as part of the delegation this week.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“We still have no idea what’s going on”, said Aladdin Boashi, one of the trainers of Libya’s Olympic weightlifters present at the demonstration.

“We went to the Interior Ministry to try and get some information, and they told us that nobody has an answer”.

There has been speculation that the abduction was deliberately timed to maximise disruption ahead of the London Olympics and that Elalem may have been captured on account of his past associations with the Qaddafi regime.

Elalem, a former Libyan judo champion, served as deputy-president of the Olympic Committee prior to last year’s uprising, reporting directly to Mohammed Qaddafi, the eldest of the dictator’s seven sons.

“We heard that some members of a security brigade previously contacted him wanting to conduct an investigation”, said Emad Al-Shawash, a former professional footballer with Tripoli’s Medina Club.

“We don’t believe that the government is directly involved, but this may have been the work of some renegade brigade under the Interior Ministry”.

Yesterday, the prime minister’s official spokesman, Nasser Al-Manaa denouncing the abduction as a “criminal act” and calling on Elalem’s kidnappers to release him without delay.

The spokesman declined to give any further details about the status of government enquiries, however, except to say that an “investigation by the Interior Ministry is underway and it will announce full details in due course”.

Elalem’s abduction has caused widespread anger and concern both in Libya across the sporting world. The president of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge has been in contact with counterparts in Libya to offer his support.

“We received a letter from Jacques Rogge saying that he was beside us at this difficult moment and that the IOC would do all it could to help secure our president’s release”, said Haffed Gritly, director of the Libyan Olympic Committee.

Today, a delegation of committee members along with other sportsman met with Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib to discuss the kidnapping.

“He didn’t give us any new information”, said Arafat Jwan, president of the Olympic committee’s secretariat. “He made promises only. “However, we are hoping we might hear something shortly, perhaps as early as this evening”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaOlympics

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli Airport honours its liberators

Jibril responds to media speculation about US and Qatari influence

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.