No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Pro-federal rallies in Ajdabiya and Bayda mark Cyrenaica’s 1949 “independence”

byMichel Cousins
June 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Ellawati.

Benghazi, 2 June:

There were pro-Cyrenaica rallies in Ajdabiya, Al-Bayda and other eastern towns on Friday against the distribution of . . .[restrict]seats allocated for the National Conference to be elected this month. Protestors were objecting to the fact that a total of 100 seats were allocated to constituencies that make up the historic region of Tripolitania, 60 for Cyrenaica and 40 for Fezzan. They want parity of seats between Tripolitania and Cyrenaica.

The demand is firmly rejected by the NTC, the government and High National Election Commission.  The present distribution is based on the size of population in the 13 constituencies.

Nostalgia for King Idris and Crown Prince Hassan at the Ajdabiya rally on show

The demonstrations took place on the 63rd anniversary of the 1 June 1949 declaration of independence of the Emirate of Cyrenaica by the then Emir Sayid Muhammad Idris Senussi. (It was limited independence; much of the administration was still carried out by the British. Moreover, Idris, who became king of a united Libya in 1951, in fact had already declared Cyrenaica’s independence on 1 March 1949.)

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The anniversary event in Ajdabiya was attended by Ahmed Zubair Senussi, a cousin of the late king and leader of the self-proclaimed Cyrenaica Transitional Council (CTC) which wants a federal Libya. Thanking people for coming, he said: “Libya cannot be divided, Libya must remain united based on justice not on injustice. Our sons have sacrificed their lives for that and we will work on establishing a fair federal state.”

Abdul Jawwad Al-Badin, commander of CTC’s own militia, the Omar Mukhtar Battalion, said that Cyrenaica which had been the first spark for the revolution was ready to start another one if justice and equality were not implemented.

“We will defend Libya and we will make it a fair, federal state,” he said. “Just as we fought Qaddafi, we will fight anyone who attempts to attack the Libyans’ dignity. We will stand together more than ever before. Cyrenaica will remain as it was previously known, with one hope and one dream and will continue to fight for people who are weak and with a voice.”

He claimed that 76 Arab and foreign countries had adopted federalism and were more developed than Libya.

A protestor in Bayda gets his figures wrong about the National Conference seat distribution

Referring to the recent protests at Al-Wadi Al-Ahmar by federalists, one of Ajdabiya’s local elders said that “those who are protesting at Al-Wadi Al-Ahmar are our sons and they are the ones who fought for Libya’s liberation, they are now calling for their demands and we will support them until the number of seats are made equal.”

Despite the evident respect for King Idris at the protests and among federalists, the king abolished it in 1963 on the basis that it no longer served Libya’s interests. [/restrict]

Tags: ajdabiyaBaydaCyrenaicafeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Salabi explains Cairo meeting with ex-Qaddafi officials

Al-Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi fears unfair trial in Libya

Al-Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi fears unfair trial in Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.