No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Kib offers olive branch to moody Moscow

byMichel Cousins
March 11, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Al-Kib offers olive branch to moody Moscow

Abdurrahim El-Kib's discussions with the Sudanese underscored Libya's pragmatic approach to regional relations

Tripoli, March 11: Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib said . . .[restrict]on Friday that Russian companies are welcome in Libya and that “we will honor our contracts” signed with them so long as they did not serve the interests of anyone connected to the old regime. Because of that they would have to be reviewed he said.

He said that Libya was unhappy with Russia’s approach to Libya during the revolution.

Speaking at Washington’s Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the prime minister expressed regret at the position taken by Moscow last year. He asked if the Russian government really understood Libya and what had been taking place there.

“We wished that Russia would have felt what was going on during the eight months of the revolution.  Did they see what was happening?” he asked.  He hoped it was the case that they had not.  Otherwise, it might have been a case of seeing what was happening and not caring.  Or Moscow was simply pursing a political agenda that served their own interests.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

It had that right, he agreed.

“Are we happy with how Russia handled the situation [last year]? Respectfully, no.”  He said that Russia was welcome to come back but it had to understand the scale of what had happened last year. It had been, for Libyans, a costly revolution.  “I hope our Russian friends realize that,” he said

Al-Kib was visiting the US for a few days.

During the revolution, Russia criticized the western-led military operations that attacked Qaddafi’s forces claiming that it exceeded the UN’s no-fly resolution. The criticism was repeated by Moscow’s UN ambassador at the Security Council last week.

Despite Al-Kib’s olive branch on Friday, Russia on the same day again attacked the NATO involvement, this time criticising UN investigators for failing to properly investigate deaths caused by NATO bombing during the revolution.

A report last week by independent investigators for the UN Human Rights Council said NATO had caused civilian deaths, but that it had taken “extensive precautions to ensure civilians were not killed”.

Maria Khodynskaya-Golenishcheva, a diplomat at the Russian UN mission in Geneva, said that the report should have highlighted the deaths caused by NATO air strikes last year which she said included children and Libyan journalists.

“In our view, during that [NATO] campaign many violations of international law and human rights were committed, including the most important right, the right to life,” she said.

The report, she said, should have assessed these acts and those who wrote it should have been more insistent on demanding information from NATO.

Philippe Kirsch, head of the UN’s commission of inquiry on Libya, said NATO had not provided him with all of the information requested.

“We know NATO had an enquiry and we asked to be informed of the results and we asked to meet with officials and could not. We asked to be given imagery of attacks and did not receive this,” he said in a press conference on Friday.

The 200-page report which investigated violations of international human rights law spoke of a “credible report” that Libyan forces had removed children’s bodies from a hospital morgue and took them to the site of a NATO airstrike.

The US ambassador to the UN Human Rights Council, Eileen Chamberlain Donahoe, praised NATO for working with the commission.

“We commend NATO for fully cooperating with the commission and for providing a significant amount of information much of which had to be declassified to assist them in their work,” she said.

The UN inquiry claimed that both sides in the conflict committed war crimes and that Qaddafi forces had committed crimes against humanity.

It called on the Libyan government to investigate the circumstances of Qaddafi’s death of Gaddafi, saying it had been refused a copy of the autopsy report. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaRussiaUN

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Libyan on track for commercial stability

Libyan on track for commercial stability

Government's LD 2,000 handout to cost LD 3.5 billion

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.