No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sewehli demands Serraj sack “insolent” UN ambassador Dabbashi

byNigel Ash
June 15, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

sewehli portrait
Sewehli wants “insolent” UN ambassador fired (File photo)

Tripoli, 8 June 2016:

The president of the State Council, Abdulrahman Sewehli, has demanded that prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj sack . . .[restrict]Libya’s UN ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi for mocking the sacrifice that Libyans were making in the fight against IS.

Dabbashi, who has stayed at the UN in New York despite being sacked twice in January last year and this April  by Thinni government, spoke after UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler reported to the UN Security Council on Tuesday.

Dabbashi said that the UN should stop using unrealistic terms and fictitious names that merely complicated the security situation. He instanced Kobler’s reference to “forces controlled by the Government of National Accord” when in fact, he said, they operated outside of state control.

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

Unless armed groups signed a binding commitment to disarm and agreed to join state institutions, said Dabbashi,  they could threaten the GNA .

Dabbashi also warned that after IS was cleared out of Sirte, it could be taken over by Ansar Al-Sharia. He said people needed to know there were plans in place once Sirte had been liberated, including helping townsfolk return, ensuring that all armed groups quit the town and that security was taken over by the state.

Today Sewehli denounced Dabbashi as an insolent “employee” and demanded that Serraj take action against him. He said that the UN ambassador had violated diplomatic conventions and represented himself rather than the Libyan state.

Despite Dabbashi’s double sacking, the UN administration seems content for him to continue in the role. This February he was appointed one of the four 2016 vice-presidents  of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) executive board. [/restrict]

Tags: DabbashifeaturedKoblerLibyaSerrajSewehiUN

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Benghazi municipality ignores Thinni, new mayor starts work

Benghazi municipality ignores Thinni, new mayor starts work

Water shortage for two days in parts of Tripoli

Water shortage for two days in parts of Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.