No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

PFG says its forces “almost in control” of Ben Jawad and near Nufliya

byMichel Cousins
December 7, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ayman Amzein.

Benghazi, 30 May 2016:

Two units of the central region Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) from Ajdabiya have moved towards within . . .[restrict]a few kilometres of Nufliya and Ben Jawad.  A source in the PFG close to its leader Ibrahim Jadhran told the Libya Herald that it was “almost” in control of Ben Jawad and very close to Nufliya.

Although IS forces were reported to have withdrawn earlier from the two towns, the reason for the delay in entering them, the source explained, was because the area was heavily mined.

“It is very difficult,” he said, adding that two PFG fighters had been killed today in a mine explosion near Ben Jawad and another seriously wounded. Another report says four were killed and 16 injured.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

Other reports speak of continuing heavy clashes around Nufliya between the PFG and IS. It was captured by the so-called Islamic State (IS) in February 2015 and Ben Jawad in January this year.

The two PFG units have taken separate routes towards their targets, although the two places are just 30 kilometres apart. Those heading towards Ben Jawad have taken the coast road, those to Nufliya taking a more southerly route using desert tracks.

Nufliya itself is 140 kilomtres east of Sirte, the main IS base.

Yesterday, forces that are part of the Bunyan Marsous operation moving from the west of Sirte claimed to have taken the Khaleej power plant 20 kilometres west of Sirte which Misratan forces abandoned a year ago.

Today, the Bunyan Marsous operations room (BMOR) called on air support from Misrata to take out a truck, believed to be a suicide bomb, heading towards the power plant. It was reported destroyed and those inside killed. Two other vehicle said to belong to IS were also attacked on the main road between Sirte and the power station.

According to BMOR spokesman Mohamed Al-Ghasri, the aim is to encircle Sirte. It is not clear, however, if this is to be done in collaboration with PFG.

The central region PFG supports the Government of National Accord and the Presidency Council which set up the BMOR. For its part, the BMOR Facebook page indicates that the two are working together, putting out reports about the PFG members killed in the mine explosion

However, asked if the PFG and the BMOR were now coordinating their plans, the PFG source not only said he did not know, he added that it would not allow Misratan troops to move east to Nufliya or Ben Jawad.

The PFG still strongly supports Cyrenaica and federalism. [/restrict]

Tags: Ben JawadLibyaNufliyaSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Illegal migration crises through Libya set to rise with weak central authorities

Illegal migration crises through Libya set to rise with weak central authorities

Thinni questioned by HoR about cash for Ramadan

Thinni questioned by HoR about cash for Ramadan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.