No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN may sanction Saif’s Zintani jailer says ICC chief prosecutor

byNigel Ash
May 27, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UN may sanction Saif’s Zintani jailer says ICC chief prosecutor

ICC chief prosecutor Bensouda in New York today (Photo: UN)

By Hadi Fornaji.

ICC chief prosecutor Bensouda in New York today (Photo: UN)
ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda at UNSC in New York today (Photo: UN)

Tripoli, 26 May 2016:

The International Criminal Court’s chief prosecutor may ask for UN sanctions against Saif Al-Islam’s Zintani jailer . . .[restrict]unless the late dictator’s heir is handed over to the court in the Hague to face war crimes charges

Fatou Bensouda, reporting today to the UN Security Council in New York said that she had recently filed a request with the ICC’s Pre-Trial chamber demanding that Al-Ajmal Al-Atiri, whom she described as the commander of the Zintani battalion holding Saif, hand over his prisoner immediately.  The chamber had yet to respond but Bensouda said that she hoped that if Atiri failed to comply, the Security Council would “consider adopting appropriate measures to ensure compliance with the chamber’s order”.

The ICC originally issued warrants for the arrest of Muammar Qaddafi and his security chief Abdullah Senussi as well as Saif. Yet after Senussi was extradited from Mauritania to Libya, rather than the Hague in August 2011, the ICC’s Pre-Trial Chamber ruled that he would receive a fair trial in Libya. Last July Senussi, along with Saif, tried in absentia, and 35 other former regime figures were found guilty. Senussi and Saif were among those condemned to death.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Implementation of Zintan Free Zone and exhibitions centre ongoing

The trial was condemned by UNSMIL, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International as flawed, unfair and not transparent.  “The trial did not meet international standards of fair trial in a number of ways,” said Claudio Cordone, UNSMIL’s Director of the Human Rights, Transitional Justice and Rule of Law.

Today however Bensouda told the UNSC that her office had received a copy of the judgement on Senussi and conducted a preliminary review. She explained “At this time, the office is not in possession of facts which would satisfy it that new facts have arisen which negate the basis on which [the Pre-Trial chamber]  found Mr Al-Senussi’s case inadmissible”. She added that her office would continue to review its assessment if and when new facts became available.

Bensouda stressed the importance of an investigation both into crimes committed by the Qaddafi regime and since the Revolution. However she repeatedly claimed that the ICC’s investigations had been hindered by a lack of resources.

She went on nevertheless to say that, despite this and the precarious security situation, her office’s investigations were continuing to yield “positive results” even though enquiries were proceeding more slowly than she would have liked. Here, she referred to a 2013 Memorandum of Understanding which the ICC had signed with the Libyan Prosecutor’s office, which had provided the ICC with “numerous documents”. Bensouda did not however spell out any of the cases that were in hand.

She called on the Government of National Accord to devise effective plans and strategies to address atrocity crimes and back local investigators. She explained: “ This will demonstrate, in concrete terms, that justice and accountability constitute key Government priorities underpinning efforts to ensure peace and stability in Libya, and that the victims will have the opportunity to seek redress through the Libyan courts”. [/restrict]

Tags: BensoudafeaturedICCLibyaSaifSenussiZintan

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Sewehli’s son briefly kidnapped in Tripoli: report

Sewehli's son briefly kidnapped in Tripoli: report

PC decides it will now accept the east's new "Russian" banknotes

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.