No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sewehli tells Serraj to liberate Sirte as Hafter gathers forces and Presidency Council warns of possible IS oilfield attacks

byMichel Cousins
April 26, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sewehli tells Serraj to liberate Sirte as Hafter gathers forces and Presidency Council warns of possible IS oilfield attacks

Abdulrahman Sewehli with State Council members (file photo)

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tats
Abdulrahman Sewehli at the State Council (Photo: State Council)

Tripoli, 25 April 2016:

The president of the State Council, Abdulrahman Sewehli, has called on the Presidency Council to send . . .[restrict]troops to liberate Sirte and other nearby places currently controlled by the so-called Islamic State (IS). It also wants the Presidency to ask the UN Security Council to lift the weapons ban so that Libya can import arms to fight the extremists.

Rapid action was needed, a State Council statement today read, because IS was trying to expand its area of control as well as attacking oilfields in the Sirte basin.

It said that in line with clause 5 of Article 24 of the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA), it was advising the Presidency to recruit a force led by professional military commanders from all over the country to capture Sirte.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The clause states that the State Council can propose policies and recommendations on combatting terrorism, extremism, violence and exclusion.

The State Council statement also said that once Sirte and other places were freed, the Presidency should look at formally appointing the heads of military and security services in line with Article 8 of the of the LPA’s additional provisions.

Under the article, the Presidency Council was supposed to appoint or reappoint heads of major military, security and civilian posts within 20 days of the LPA being signed. The article is highly controversial and is bitterly opposed by supporters of Khalifa Hafter. Even the hundred members of the House of Representatives who last week announced their support for the Government of National Accord want it deleted.

Yesterday, the Presidency Council itself said that it had been warned by the National Oil Corporation of further terrorist attacks on oil facilities. It had also been told that Qaddafi loyalists were collaborating with foreign militias such as the rebel Sudanese Justice and Equality Movement to similarly disrupt the oil industry. It called on neighbouring and European states to help stop such attacks and also help prevent the flow of illegal migrants through Libya.

The State Council’s call follows the arrival in Tobruk on a Saudi vessel of a major consignment of military equipment for the Libyan National Army. Including some 100 vehicles, it is said to have been supplied by the UAE for the LNA’s proposed push against Sirte.

A successful LNA offensive against Sirte could seriously complicate the political process in Libya, undermining the LPA. This is thought to be a prime reason for Sewehli’s call for immediate military action by the Presidency Council.

Meanwhile, there are unconfirmed reports of remaining Sirte residents fleeing the town in recent days, fearing an attack.

Vehicles
Vehicles purportedly delivered to the LNA (Photo: Social media )
[/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaState Council

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Foreign Ministry handed to Presidency Council

Foreign Ministry handed to Presidency Council

G5 leaders decide little on Libya at brief Hanover meeting

G5 leaders decide little on Libya at brief Hanover meeting

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.