No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tunisia calls on Libyans to sign peace deal; no more changes says Kobler

byMichel Cousins
December 11, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Martin Kobler in Tunis today (Photo: UNSMIL)
Martin Kobler in Tunis today (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 10 December 2015:

There will be no more changes to the Libya Dialogue agreement UN Special Envoy Martin . . .[restrict]Kobler told delegates to a session convened by him in Tunis today. To do would be like opening Pandora’s Box. Instead, the agreement had to be rapidly put into effect – and would be, he insited. With the growth of the so-called Islamic State and the worsening humanitarian situation, the matter was urgent, he said.

“There must be a renewed legitimacy of the House of Representatives, and there must be a State Council in place,” he added.

Delegates were told much the same by the Tunisian Foreign Minister Taieb Baccouche: the UN-brokered Libya Political Agreement (LPA) needed to be signed as soon as possible because militants from the so-called Islamic State were expanding in Libya. That danger had to be the priority for Libyans, he said.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Speaking to the media after today’s session, Kobler insisted that he was much encouraged by what was his first Libya Dialogue session. There was consensus among the delegates that the agreement had to be signed quickly, he said.

There was agreement too, he added, that “nobody should go behind the back of any other participant of the political dialogue nor behind the back of the United Nations” – a clear condemnation of the rival “Tunis” deal agreed last Saturday in the same Ramada Hotel by groups from both the General National Congress (GNC) and the House of Representative (HoR).

At the meeting, designed partly in preparation for the Rome Conference on Libya on Sunday, were many of the political figures who had been involved in the wider Libya Dialogue process over the past year. As well as delegates from the House of Representatives such as Emhemed Shouaib and its rapporteur Saleh Hama there were members from the General National Congress including the leader of former GNC delegation to the Dialogue, Salah Makhzoum, as well as Nizar Kawan of the Justice and Construction Party (J&C) and Belgassem Gzeit, the Misrata member who leads the pro-LPA group within the GNC. Also present were political party leaders, including the J&C’s Mohamed Sawan, Guma El-Gamaty of the Taghyeer Party and Mohamed Ali Abdullah for the National Front.

Others present included former deputy prime minister Mustafa Abushagur who had flown in from the US, as well as Fathi Bashagha and Naima Gebril.

Absent, however, was the Watan Party’s leader, Abdulhakim Belhaj, as well the current members of the GNC delegation to the Libya Dialogue – Abdulrahman Sewehli, Awad Abdul Saddeq and Mohamed Bagi.

The latter two’s absence was unsurprising, They are now part of the rival “Tunis” deal, having been part of the five-member GNC delegation to it.

Despite Kobler’s optimism, the tone among the various delegates at the today’s gathering was rather more muted. There was little sense of enthusiasm or energy among them. Almost all refused to give any comments, saying they needed to hear the latest proposals from Kobler first.

There were some exceptions. One independent delegate who has been involved in the process from the start said that the names of the three remaining members of the presidency council (two deputy prime minsiter and a senior minister) would be chosen before the gathering ended on Friday. Another said the unity government headed by Faiez Serraj would be formally approved by the Dialogue before the end of the month.

(Kobler himself said that the date for the signing would be settled at the Rome meeting which will be chair by US Secretary of State John Kerry.)

Bucking the general mood, GNC member Gzeit who was attending for the first time said that he was “very optimistic” that the unity government would be approved. There were many in the GNC who, like him, backed it but they were afraid of publicly declaring their support he said. They were no longer, however, the majority. In any event, it would be impossible for there to be a vote in the GNC on the unity government and the LPA.

Appearing to confirm his view, a statement purportedly signed by 82 GNC members has now appeared supporting the Tunis deal and describing the UN-brokered one as unacceptable. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaLibya dialogueUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Tensions in Sabratha over arrests said to be linked to IS

Thinni dismisses high-profile information chief

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.