No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protests close coast road west of Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
October 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Protests close coast road west of Tripoli

Road blocked in Ghut Shaal today (Photo: Social media)

By Saber Ayyub and Ajnadin Mustafa.

Road blocked in Ghut Shaal today (Photo: Social media)
Tyres being burned to block the road in Ghut Shaal today (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 6 October 2015:

Protests against abductions have closed the coastal road west of Tripoli in two . . .[restrict]separate incidents.

In Zawia, members of the Abu Obeida militia yesterday dug up the road over the seizure of colleagues, allegedly at checkpoints manned by Warshafanis and Zintanis.

Meanwhile in the west Tripoli suburb of Ghut Shaal, today a group of armed youths blocked the road with burning tyres following the arrest last night of man by the Rada (“Deterrence”) forces of Abdul Raouf Kara following what appears to have been a turf war between two gangs in the area.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

Military operations launched in Zawia and surrounding areas ostensibly to fight crime – and possibly militias too

One of the two groups involved in the Ghut Shaal protest are said to be from a Kikla militia and nominally supporters of Libya Dawn and the authorities in Tripoli. It is claimed, nevertheless, that the man arrested had earlier been involved in clashes with another Dawn militia, the Obeidat militia, following a squabble between the two.

Today’s road closures are said to have been organised by the arrested man’s brother. There are also unconfirmed reports that some of the armed protestors have tried to break into a local bank.

The incident is seen as underlining the inability of the regime in Tripoli including the General National Congress to enforce its authority over its supporters and area it supposedly controls.

Bulldozers were used to dig up the road in Zawia (Photo: Social media)
Bulldozers were used to dig up the road in Zawia (Photo: Social media)

The more serious road closure in Zawia follows the agreement at the end of last month between Warshefana military leader Omar Tantoush and a number of leaders of local militias  in the north west of the country. These are now allied to the Libyan National Army’s Zintan-based Tripoli Operations Room (covering north western Libya) and referred to as “LNA-supported forces”. Under the agreement he was given overall control of all their checkpoints. This was then followed by an agreement between him and Zawia Military Council supported by local elders in which they agreed to remove their checkpoints.

Tantoush was earlier ordered by the Tripoli Operations Room to take control of all checkpoints on the coast road and secure it.

His agreement with the Zawia Military Council is firmly opposed by militants in Zawia under the control of Abu Obeida Al-Zawi, likewise allied to the Tripoli regime and still holding sway in much of the town. They are alleged to be behind yesterday’s road closures.

It is claimed that their waining power is the real reason for the closures, with the abductions playing a secondary role.

All sides, including Abu Obeida’s fighters, are reported to have been involved in abductions at checkpoints. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGhut ShaalLibyaOmar TantoushZawia

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

GNC to discuss names for Presidency Council

E-passport chaos protest in Suq Al-Juma

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.