No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

No foreign boots on the ground in Tripoli say key Libyans

byMichel Cousins
September 5, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
No foreign boots on the ground in Tripoli say key Libyans

Meeting

By Libya Herald staff.

Meeting
Education Minister Fathi Majbri (2nd left) makes a point at the Tunis forum. To his right, Ambassador Aref Nayed and businessman Mohamed Muntasser  (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tunis, 4 September 2015:

The arrival of foreign forces to ensure stability in Tripoli for a government of national . . .[restrict]accord (GNA) to operate there would backfire, speakers at a major conference on dialogue in Libya said today. Nor could there be a Green Zone in the capital, as in Baghdad. It would not work, they said. However, the militias had to be removed. A GNA would not work as long as there were heavy armed militias in the capital, former interior minister Ashour Shuwail told participants.

The two-day National Dialogue Development Forum which opened this afternoon in Tunis, has drawn what is seen as the largest number of key Libyan figures to such an event since Libya split in two politically last year.

Speakers include several of those who have been nominated for the posts for prime minister and the two deputy premiers, among them Libyan ambassador to the UAE Aref Nayad, education minister Fathi Majbri, and IT professor Otman Basir.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan and Tunisian Ministers of Economy discuss strengthening cooperation, implementing Joint Committee recommendations

Libyan Industry Union signs MoU with Maghreb Bank for Investment and Foreign Trade BMICE to expand financing opportunities for Libyan industry

Former UN ambassador Ahmed Shalgam and HoR member Abubakr Buera are due to speak tomorrow, Saturday. Other speakers today were leading Misrata businessman Mohamed El Muntasser, Ashour Shuwail, ambassador to Bahrain Fawzi Abdulaal, security expert Amal Obeidi and Interior Ministry security adviser Al-Aref Al-Khoja.

With so many prominent Libyans attending the event and over half the prime ministerial candidates among the speakers, it is being seen as something of a “beauty contest” prior to the announcement of the premiership appointment, supposedly next week. It was also suggested that a large portion of future GNA ministers were present either as speakers or attendees.

In his speech, Majbri said that there had to be a political will among Libyans for peace and collaboration. At present there was an absence of national unity. Everyone was speaking from their point of view, not taking into account the views of others. More specifically he said that the new government would have to involve all factions, move to end corruption, create strong military and strong institutions and create a new prosperous Libya. A key element for getting Libya back to work would be changing the Libyan thinking that they are entitled to salary. Libyans need to start working for themselves, he said.

Terrorism was the main issue that needed to be tackled, said Nayed, and the GNA must not work with anyone opposed to democracy. But Libya also was in a critical economic situation. Calling for a government that was efficient and practical, he said it would have to focus on economic change alongside dealing with security.

The same point was made by Muntasser and Obeidi.

Both Muntasser and Nayed said that subsidies had to be scrapped, although Nayed believed it would have to be done gradually. Both also said that the government’s massive salary spending had to be reduced. Libya could not afford it. But reductions would have to come in terms of finding people on the state payroll other jobs. Other speakers insisted that salaries as a whole across Libya had to increase.

One of the current problems, Nayed added, was the belief among certain people that they had “revolutionary legitimacy” and that it gave them the right to do anything they wanted. “We have to avoid revolutionary legitimacy”, he stressed. The new government had to be a government for all Libyans, regardless of whom they backed during the 2011 revolution.

On the issue of ensuring security once the GNA is established, and whether it could operate safely in Tripoli, there was guarded optimism. First though, a government had to be established, speakers said. Without it there was no chance of security.

While there was near unanimity that the presence of foreign forces on the ground in the capital would be disastrous, there was some disagreement about the struggle in Benghazi. Former Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail, who said that there had been methodical targeting of the security system in the city in order to destroy it, later told the Libya Herald that a UN force consisting of troops from Arab and Muslim countries might be needed to deal with the situation in Libya’s second city where street fighting necessitated specially trained forces. [/restrict]

Tags: Aref NayedAshour SsuwailFathi MajbrifeaturedLibyaMohamed MuntasserTunis

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
UNSMIL Geneva talks heading into third day

UNSMIL Geneva talks heading into third day

New government must have economic policies as well as security plans says PM candidate El-Huni

New government must have economic policies as well as security plans says PM candidate El-Huni

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.