No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

AGOCO wants satellites to guard against more pipeline sabotage

byNigel Ash
February 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
AGOCO wants satellites to guard against more pipeline sabotage

Work this week to repair the bombed pipeline (Photo: PFG)

By Jamal Adel.

Work this week to repair the bombed pipeline (Photo: PFG)
Work this week to repair the bombed pipeline (Photo: PFG)

Tunis, 22 February 2015:

The Arabian Gulf Oil Company, AGOCO is seeking to use realtime satellite surveillance to try and better . . .[restrict]protect the Sarir pipeline which was blown up eight days ago, halting key oil exports.

Mohammed Belgassem Ben Shatwan told the Libya Herald today that in order to protect the line from the Sarir  field,  the company’s largest, to the Hariga oil export terminal at Tobruk, “We are now calling calling several international specialists in providing this sort of satellite monitoring for the pipeline”.

Some 30 metres of the line were destroyed in a blast on 14 February.  A second unexploded device was found later by the Petroleum Facilities Guard and disabled by Army engineers.  The crippling of the pipeline meant that virtually all onshore production ceased, with only some 80,000 b/d being produced from the country’s two offshore fields.

RELATED POSTS

Operation of new pipeline from North Hamada oil field of the Nafusa Oil Operations Company begins

Nafusa Oil’s North Hamada field’s new main line operational

AGOCO has said that up to ten days will be needed to test the pipeline once repairs have been completed.

Once in place, real-time satellite surveillance of the pipeline might mean that members of the PFG could be directed to intercept would-be attackers.  It may also mean that those responsible for successful sabotage can be tracked.  After the blast earlier this month, IS terrorists were initially blamed. However, it has since been suggested that local tribesmen may have been responsible.

Meanwhile Reuters has reported the successful loading of the first tanker in just under a year at the Zuetina terminal. The agency quoted an unnamed source as saying that a Greek-registered vessel had taken on 750,000 barrels of oil and was due to leave for Italy later today.

The Zuetina terminal has a 17-tank farm which may have been full enough to load the tanker. However, the terminal has been blighted by technical problems as well as strikes at two of its feeder fields, which it is said, have now been resolved.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredHarigaLibyaoil exportspipelinesatellite surveillanceZuetina

Related Posts

NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

February 16, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

February 16, 2026
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
Tripoli based Military Industries Organisation opens “Libyan Inventor” office
Business

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

February 15, 2026
HoR condemns Serraj’s foreign intervention call
Business

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

February 15, 2026
Next Post

Zawia hospital closes after more children die

Former Qaddafi regime figures trial adjourned yet again

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.