No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s fledgling internal intelligence service penetrated from outset. Now split in two after Libya Dawn occupation of Tripoli

bySami Zaptia
February 17, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter

Malta, 17 February 2015:

On the fourth anniversary of the 17 February 2011 Libyan revolution, many are asking how . . .[restrict]did the country that had succeeded in having two universally acclaimed successful democratic elections descent to such a level of a lack of governance, weak institutions, a breakdown of security and a lack of law and order.

Many have asked where are Libya’s security agencies, including its nascent intelligence agency set up with much optimism back in 2012. How were domestic and foreign extremists able to make such advances in the country under the noses of Libya’s new intelligence agency?

Libya’s fledgling internal intelligence service was penetrated by ‘’radicals’’ from its formation and has subsequently split after the occupation of Tripoli by Libya Dawn forces, a well-placed source informed Libya Herald on strict condition of anonymity.

RELATED POSTS

HoR removes intelligence chief Salem Al-Hassi

LPTIC Chairman explains company’s latest position as Dawn government attempts to change board

The source informed Libya Herald that while many members of the internal intelligence agency chose to remain in Tripoli and work with the GNC/Libya Dawn Tripoli administration, a number have left Tripoli and joined the official government in Tobruk, whilst others have had to ‘’flee’’ Tripoli in fear for their lives and seek ‘’safety’’ abroad, he claimed.

They were forced to flee, he explained, after the names of agents were exposed, and he warned his former colleagues to protect themselves against possible targeting by radicals.

The new nascent internal intelligence agency was being built on solid scientific foundations under Salam Al-Hassi, he added, but that it started to disintegrate as soon as Al-Hassi resigned in June 2014.

Al-Hassi had been appointed to head the newly created intelligence agency in February 2012 by the NTC.

The agency had started in 2013 to recruit new blood from all over Libya, mainly highly educated members with bachelors, masters and even PhD degrees. There was a move away from the tendency to recruit low educated personnel by the Qaddafi regime, the source.

Recruits were interviewed vigorously and methodically, the source said, with highly professional trainers from the US, UAE and Jordan, he revealed.

One of the units that was created within the agency was a ‘’counter terrorism/extremism’’ unit, he revealed.

However, the source felt that the intelligence service was doomed to failure from the start as it was ‘’penetrated by radicals’’ from within – right from the outset.

The agency and its members were being targeted in the lead-up to Hassi’s resignation, he added, pointing to the attack in May on the Tripoli agency.

In another incident, the intelligence chief in Benghazi, Colonel Ibrahim Sennussi was assassinated, two days after he had appeared on TV threatening to name names behind killings in the city.

In November 2014, the head of the Technical Department of the Agency, Colonel Mukhtar Al-Nayli, was assassinated by a hail of bullets by a number of unknown masked gunmen outside his home in Bu Sleem, Tripoli – all as part of a planned attack by radicals against agency members, the source said.

But even Al-Hassi was being targeted, as these so-called radicals started to call for his removal as head of the agency, before he resigned, the source added.

The whole agency was ‘’exposed’’ after Libya Dawn had occupied Tripoli and the list of agents was ‘’leaked’’. At least one former agency member, now has now fled abroad, was briefly kidnapped and questioned by these ‘‘radicals’’, the source informed Libya Herald.

He was squeezed for names and details about other agency members and their activities, the source said.

The source explained that the message that former agent wanted to send was that of a warning. He wanted his former colleagues to know that they had been exposed and that they should take steps to protect themselves in case they were targeted by these ‘’radicals’’, he explained.

Although quite clearly not the only cause, it is this fundamental built- in weakness of Libya’s ‘’penetrated’’ intelligence agency that has helped create an intelligence and therefore, a security vacuum that is now enabling very extreme forces to operate in Libya unchallenged, the source believes.

Yesterday, the House of Representatives’ (HoR) official spokesman Faraj Abuhashim announced that the HoR had accepted Salem Al-Hassi’s resignation and had appointed a replacement, which it did not name, to head Libya’s General Intelligence Agency. Abuhashim said the decision was as a result of the murder of the 21 Egyptians in Sirte. [/restrict]

Tags: GNC/Libya Dawnintelligence agencySalem Al-HassiSalem El-Hassi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
New coins issued to commemorate fourth anniversary of 17 February Revolution

New coins issued to commemorate fourth anniversary of 17 February Revolution

With determination and perseverance, Libya has a chance to defeat war and terrorism and bounce back: Leon

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.