No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

More Christians in Sirte seized: report

byMichel Cousins
January 3, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

3 January 2015:

Thirteen, possibly 16, Egyptian Coptic Christians were allegedly seized in Sirte today. The abduction follows the . . .[restrict]disappearance on three others in the town two days ago, the murder of a Coptic doctor and his wife who lived near Sirte eleven days ago and the subsequent murder of their 13-year-old daughter whose body was found two days later.

Jihadists and sympathisers are suspected. Sirte is increasingly controlled by Ansar Al-Sharia although Libya Dawn has a significant presence in the town.

In the incident two days ago, three Egyptian Christians were reportedly in a privately hired car with by a Libyan driver heading from their work at a construction site to the place they were staying. According to the driver, they were stopped by gunmen wearing military uniforms at a checkpoint. The gunmen apparently said the Egyptians’ residence visas were not in order and they had to go with them to investigate the matter. The driver, who was allowed to leave, then informed colleagues of the three who then went looking for them. They were reportedly told by the authorities that no one had been arrested that day.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

Today, it is reportedly that gunmen, again said to be in military uniform, went to a building in Sirte housing Egyptian workers and demanded identification papers. As many as 16 people were then arrested, all of them reportedly Copts. Two others, said to be Muslims, were let go.

Officials in Sirte, however, are reported saying they have had no complaints of any Egyptians in the town being abducted or harmed. A council member, Fawzi Abu Zeidan, was quoted by Buwabat Al-Wasat saying that the council had had no communication about the incidents and knew nothing about them.

A number of Copts have been murdered or abducted in Libya over the past year in what has been seen a campaign against Egyptian Christians across the country. It is not known, though, whether it is coordinated or who might be behind it.

In February last year, the bodies of seven Copts were found dead on a beach near Benghazi. They had been shot. Another murdered Copt was found on the same beach a month later. [/restrict]

Tags: ChristiansCoptsEgyptLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Power and telecoms troubles on the rise

Eni-NA starts new offshore exploration drill

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.