No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon and Ageela Salah “agree” Ghadames II dialogue outside Libya: HoR member

byMichel Cousins
December 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

23 December 2014:

It is reported that UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon and the President of the House of . . .[restrict]Representatives (HoR), Ageela Salah Gwaider, agreed yesterday that the talks in the second stage of dialogue between the various factions in the Libya crisis should take place outside the country.  Writing in his Facebook page, Benghazi HoR member Tariq Al-Geroushi –  known to be very close to Gwaider as well as to those running Operation Dignity – also said that there was agreement between the two that the next round could take on 10 January.

Leon was in Tobruk yesterday in a bid to save the dialogue between the main parties in the Libya crisis from total collapse.

Despite the relative success of the first UN-brokered dialogue at the end of September between attending and boycotting members of the HoR in Ghadames, efforts to draw together individuals representing both the HoR and the Thinni government on one side and Libya Dawn and the Omar Al-Hassi “government” in Tripoli on the other have dragged on without success. As a result, the planned meeting between the two sides has been postponed twice with arguments over who should attend and where the talks take place. It was reported that there was agreement on Awjila near Jalu, but this appears to have broken down.  Both sides are said to be opposed to meeting anywhere they consider controlled by the other.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

There has been no official statement from either the HoR or UNSMIL about what was discussed at yesterday’s meeting. However, Geroushi, whose father heads Operation Dignity’s air force, has also said that it was agreed that the dialogue would include members of civil society organisation as well as the mayors of town and cities directly related to the crisis, such as Misrata and Zintan. It would also include representatives of the HoR, of which four have been chosen. Geroushi made no mention of the Tripoli-based General National Congress although Leon has already made it clear that it too would send representatives.

Geroushi did state, however, that it had been agreed that no militia commanders or “militants” would be invited.

The latter terminology may pose a problem because although Leon has declared that there will be no negotiations with Ansar Al-Sharia, many members of the HoR (Gwaider included) as well as the Thinni government, view Libya Dawn and its supporters as militants. The organisation has been labeled as “terrorists” by them.

Geroushi also indicated that the meeting did not go entirely smoothly and that Gwaider rejected a proposal from Leon that a government of national unity be appointed with members from both the Thinni administration and Hassi one in Tripoli.

Abdullah Al-Thinni was himself in Tobruk today for talks with Ageela on the latest developments with the UN. [/restrict]

Tags: Ageela SalahHouse of RepresentativesLibyaUN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

CBL says use of National ID Numbers key to cutting state deficit

Ansar behead army captive as port blaze casts pall over Benghazi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.