No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Navy ship on fire as clashes rage around Benghazi port

byCallum Paton
November 4, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Navy ship on fire as clashes rage around Benghazi port

Plumes of smoke billow from a Libya Navy vessel hit in today's clashes (Photo: Social Media)

By Maha Suliman and Adam Ali.

Plumes of smoke billow from a Libya Navy vessel hit in today's clashes (Photo: Social Media)
Plumes of smoke billow from a Libya Navy vessel hit in today’s clashes (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 3 November 2014:

Fires are raging onboard a Libyan Navy vessel after it . . .[restrict]was struck by a missile during heavy clashes between pro-government forces and Benghazi Revolutionaries Shoura Council (BRSC) battling for control of Benghazi’s port.

One of the few remaining residents in Benghazi’s central Sabri district told the Libya Herald that fierce fighting had erupted in the area this afternoon with further clashes at a naval base some ten kilometres away from the main seaport.

The navy ship was struck by the missile in exchanges at the base. The resident explained that naval personnel there had barricaded the roads leading towards their position as navy ships from the east sailed into port.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

In response the forces of BRSC moved on the naval base with technical vehicles carrying mounted anti-aircraft guns and and one or two armoured personnel carriers. In the subsequent battle armed naval guards were able to repulse the BRSC convoy pushing it back to Suq Al-Hood.

Mohamed Hejazi, a Libyan National Army (LNA) spokesman, said fighting had continued in Suq Al-Hood into the evening but was beginning to subside. He too said that the fire on board the ship had been caused by a BRSC missile.

To the north of the naval base, the army deployed a number of tanks which moved from the outskirts of the Sabri district towards central Benghazi. One rocket hit the nearby Narwan Hotel which had to be evacuated by the Red Crescent because of the fierce fighting.

Sabri residents reportedly joined the fray on the side of the army. Most local gunmen came from the area’s Abdul Monem and Riyad streets. The worst of the clashes took place at one of Sabri’s main junctions near to where a police station was destroyed in July.

As well as evacuating the Narwan Hotel, the Libyan Red Crescent also helped move staff and patients from central Benghazi’s 7 October Hospital which was also threatened by the fighting. A spokesman said eight intensive-care patients were evacuated and six members of medical staff, five of whom were Filipinos.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesfeaturedfirenavyportSabriship

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Algeria and Libya call for “inclusive” Libyan dialogue

Algeria and Libya call for "inclusive" Libyan dialogue

HoR delegation to go to Jordan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.