No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Belhaj’s rendition battle continues in UK courts

byNigel Ash
July 22, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Belhaj’s rendition battle continues in UK courts

By Libya Herald staff.

Abdul Hakim Belhaj
Abdul-Hakim Belhaj

London, 21 July 2014:

Former revolutionary leader and now Islamist Al-Watan party leader Abdul-Hakim Belhaj is continuing his battle . . .[restrict]to sue the British government over his 2004 rendition, along with his wife, from Thailand to Libya.

Lawyers for Belhaj, backed by Amnesty International, have gone to the Appeal Court in London to challenge the High Court’s decision to throw out a case he had brought, against a former British foreign secretary and a top MI6 intelligence officer. Belhaj’s action was rejected on the grounds the court did not have jurisdiction over an event that occurred in another country.

Belhaj however claims that Jack Straw, who headed the Foreign Office in the then-Labour government, as well as Mark Allen, at the time a leading member of Britain’s foreign intelligence organisation MI6, were among others complicit in his abduction, illegal transfer to Qaddafi in Libya and his subsequent imprisonment and torture for six years in Abu Selim prison.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Business Fair to be held on 20 November in London

LBC signs MoU at Arab-British Economic Summit in London

When last December the British High Court refused to hear the case, the judge admitted that he was “hesitant” in accepting the UK government’s argument. This had revolved around the “Act of State Doctrine” whereby UK judges had no power to judge the action of a foreign state on its own territory. Belhaj and his wife, Fatima Boudchar, had been about to board a flight from Bangkok to London where they had been planning to claim political asylum. He was a leading commander of Libyan Islamic Fighting Group.

He claims they were seized in a joint MI6 and CIA operation, then flown to Libya via the British Indian Ocean territory of Diego Garcia. Once he was brought back to Libya, Belhaj was incarcerated in Tripoli’s Abu Saleem prison for six years.

The judge, Peregrine Simon, also said Abdul-Hakim Belhaj had a “well-founded claim” but pursuing it would jeopardise national security.

Amnesty International was scathing of the High court judgement: “The government is really scraping the legal barrel with this latest attempt to dodge accountability for the UK’s alleged part in one of the most notorious crimes of the rendition programme,” said John Dalhuisen, Europe and Central Asia Programme Director at Amnesty International.

He added: “This makes a mockery of the law. How are courts ever to investigate allegations of rendition if governments are simply going to play the ‘act of state’ card?”

Dalhuisen said that the present British government led by David Cameron had promised to investigate the Belhaj case and others where the UK has allegedly been involved in rendition and torture.

“ Instead of combing the statute books for get-out clauses, the British government should be allowing this important case to run its course” said Dalhuisen.

Leave for Belhaj to take his case to appeal was given this February. The hearing is due to start this week. However the British government is now cross-appealing on the further grounds that “state immunity” also means that the claim cannot be heard.

In March last year, Belhaj said he would drop his legal action if the British government admitted involvement in his rendition and paid him the equivalent to six Libyan dinars.

In December 2012, a similar case about illegal rendition saw the British government pay LD 4 million to Sami Al-Saadi on the condition he dropped his action. It did not, however, admit any guilt or responsibility. [/restrict]

Tags: appeal.British governmentBellhajfeaturedHigh CourtLibyalondonrendition

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
ELECTIONS 2014: Final results  for House of Representative elections announced

ELECTIONS 2014: Final results for House of Representative elections announced

Europe and US call for end to clashes

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.