No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Broken government funding promises mean locals pay for Hun Autumn Festival

byNigel Ash
December 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Broken government funding promises mean locals pay for Hun Autumn Festival

Handicrafts displayed at the Hun Autumn Festival

By Callum Paton

Handicrafts displayed at the Hun Autumn Festival
Handicrafts at this year’s Hun Autumn Festival (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

Tripoli, 4 December 2013

While a tourism minister has said that this year’s Autumn Festival in Hun demonstrates how his . . .[restrict]ministry is drawing more visitors to the country, the local organiser of the event has complained that none of the promised government  funding has been handed over, and that the bill for the festival was being picked up by the people of town.

Deputy Minister of Tourism, Abdul Saamia Adbuq, told the Libya Herald in Hun at the start of the three-day event: “This is what we are looking for. People are looking for a good life, a happy life. We are sending a message to say we are building our country and building it in peace. We need to come out with new transportation and accommodation to bring more people to Hun in 2014.”

However Tofek Abddiem, one of the locals behind the festival said that the expectations of government support had been “only 70 percent” fulfilled.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“We are supported by the government, ” he said, “but the money, between LD 15,000 and LD 20,000 needed for the festival, has come from the local people.” He added that the cost of the festival had been kept so low because virtually all work has been done by volunteers.

“The planning committee for this festival wants to make it bigger and extend it,” Abddiem said, “But we are suffering from a lack of funding. While the government has said  the money  will come, what with all budget delays, we cannot expect it”.

Despite the tensions over funding, during his stay throughout the festival, the deputy minister was received warmly by members of Hun town council and the organisers.  He used part of the time for talks about how locals could boost tourism to the area and how Hun could profit from its historic sites and the sale of goods made by its artisans. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdul Saamia AdbuqAutumn FestivalfeaturedHunLibyaminister

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Will end of Amazigh blockade spell end to power cuts?

Some Derna protestors continue, despite the rain

Some Derna protestors continue, despite the rain

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.