No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Air Force Colonel averts suspected kidnapping attempt

bythomwestcott
November 10, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 10 November 2013:

An Air Force Colonel who played a leading role in the uprising against Qaddafi thwarted a suspected attempt . . .[restrict]to kidnap him on Friday night, according to military sources.

Colonel Abd Nasser Bousnina was confronted by around 100 armed men outside his Benghazi home shortly after 9pm, a source from the Armed Forces told the Libya Herald. It  is not clear exactly what the men wanted but it is believed they intended to either kidnap him or make an attempt on his life.

These men were unaware, however, that Bousnina had a small number of Air Force personnel nearby, who immediately appeared on the scene. A non-violent altercation followed and the situation was apparently resolved peacefully.

Spokesman for the Benghazi Joint Security Room (BJSR), Abdullah Zaidi, denied there had been any attack on Bousnina. “There was a problem, not an attack, which he solved,” Zaidi told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

A number of Air Force officers have been targeted in a string of assassinations – leading to the deaths of nearly 100 senior military and security personnel – that have rocked Benghazi this year. Last month the head of Benghazi’s Air Traffic Control, Colonel Adel Al-Towahni, was shot dead outside his home.

Towahni had also played an important role in the revolution, and the incident provoked an angry response from the Air Force. Some complained that, despite clearly being at risk, the government had provided no training, equipment or financial support to help officers protect themselves against possible attacks. One said Air Force personnel even had to buy their own pistols.

Bousnina led a defection of Air Force officers in the east of the country against Qaddafi in the early days of the revolution. He has since worked on raising the profile of the Libyan Air Force abroad, attending the International Defence Exhibition (IDEX) in March. He is also expected to be one of a number of Air Force and Ministry of Defence representatives heading to next week’s Dubai Air Show. [/restrict]

Tags: Air ForceassassinationsBenghazikidnappingLibyathwarted attack

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Libya Movie Awards come to successful conclusion

Libya Movie Awards come to successful conclusion

Remembrance service held in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.