No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LD 68-billion budget announced

byMichel Cousins
February 29, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

The government led by Prime Minister Abdurahhim Al-Kib has drawn up a draft budget for 2012 of LD 68.5 billion ($55 . . .[restrict]billion).

It is the largest in Libya’s history and reflects the need to rebuild an economy and infrastructure devastated by decades of maladministration and corruption compounded by eight months of bitter fighting last year.

The budget had been “transferred to the National Transitional Council for approval,” a statement from the prime minister’s office said after it was agreed at a cabinet meeting on Wednesday.

There are no expenditure details nor a figure as to anticipated income in 2012 nor anything on the size of the deficit.

There has been disagreement about the latter.  According to a statement by NTC leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil at the beginning of the month, “the budget being prepared would see a deficit of $10 billion”.  However in January, Central Bank governor Saddeq Elkaber said that that the 2012 budget would have an LD 7 billion deficit.

RELATED POSTS

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

There will clearly be a deficit.  Libya’s oil revenues were $32 billion in 2010, the last full year before the revolution — $23 billion short of the 2012 expenditure figure. According to a oil ministry statement on Tuesday, liftings are now running at 1.4 million barrels a day — far higher than had been anticipated three months ago and by summer may well exceed the 1.6 m b/d that Libya was pumping before the revolution. Nonetheless, government income is not going to match the planned $55 billion budget figure.

Libya is, however, well positioned to cover any deficit, given the $100 billion in funds that were frozen abroad but most of which, according to Elkaber, have now been released.

Libyan gross domestic product fell by some 60 percent last year and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has described  that Libya’s finances as “precarious”. However GDP looks set to grow massively as exports and business comes back on-stream.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Tunisian branch of Libyan orphan charity opens

Prime Minister to go to US

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.