No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi hospital staff want Ansar Al-Sharia back

byNigel Ash
October 5, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 4 October:

Employees of Jalaa hospital in Benghazi have protested for a third day about the lack of security . . .[restrict]at the hospital and demanded the return of Ansar Al-Sharia personnel.

The Islamist Ansar Al-Sharia brigade, which had been providing the hospital’s security, were forced out of their posts as part of the ‘Save Benghazi’ demonstration on 21 September. The marchers, furious at the suspected involvement of Islamist groups in the killing of American ambassador Chris Stevens, attacked several brigade bases. One of these was the Ansar Al-Sharia brigade whose personnel at the hospital, fearing for their lives, abandoned their positions.

Medical staff have said that since Ansar Al-Sharia security guards left, the hospital has been suffering from security problems all the time. A female doctor said that medical staff are being verbally and even physically assaulted on a daily basis.

Another doctor described how the grieving friend of a man, injured in a road traffic accident, went on the rampage after learning that doctors had been unable to save his friend’s life. He broke medical equipment and attacked staff, before eventually being ejected from the building by hospital workers.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

A doctor said: “We are subjected to this kind of abuse on a daily basis and that is why we are now demanding the provision of security for us, and in particular Ansar Al-Sharia.” He added that many people in Benghazi believed the security provided by the controversial brigade was better than that currently available.

There have also been reports of patients and visitors bringing weapons into the hospital and firearms being used to threaten doctors and nurses. Drug misuse is said to be yet another problem at the facility, and some hospital workers say they have witnessed recreational drug-taking in hospital rooms.

Dr Mohamed Beleid, the hospital’s director said: “The hospital has been suffering from a lack of security for a very long time.” Despite informing the relevant authorities, including the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Defence and Benghazi’s National Security Directorate, of the situation, Beleid said that nothing had been done. “We briefed them on the seriousness of the situation and asked them to provide protection for the hospital, but all these attempts failed.” [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Libyans killed in Tunisian road accident

Libyans killed in Tunisian road accident

Fabius visit called off

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.