No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rixos Hotel threatened by SSC over fighting in Brak

byMichel Cousins
September 23, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 23 September:

Heavily armed members of the Supreme Security Committee who were caught up in continuing deadly clashes . . .[restrict]in Brak arrived at the Rixos Hotel in Tripoli yesterday afternoon and threatened to blow it up. They claimed that military support promised by the Ministry of Defence had never arrived in Brak and that both the Ministers of Interior, Fawzi Abdelal and Defence, Osama Juwaily, had refused to meet with them on the matter.

They demanded the resignation of Juwaily. They were accompanied by members of families of those SSC members killed in Brak.

At least six people, mostly SSC members, were killed when  fighting broke out in Brak on Wednesday following the killing of a local girl. Locals said she had been shot by the SSC when they tried to arrest her brother at the family home. There was a lull on Thursday but on Friday the clashes became more deadly. Another sixteen SSC members were reported killed and 50 injured. Homes were damaged and many local people fled to Sebha during the day. The SSC itself later pulled out of the town.

RELATED POSTS

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

One family who left for Sebha whose home had been badly damaged said that they hoped to go back tomorrow, Monday, when (and if) the army returns.

A source in the interior ministry claimed that Friday’s clashes had occurred after the SSC tried to arrest a number of people who had celebrated Muammar Qaddafi’s “Fateh Revolution Day” on 1 September and that the dead had been killed by pro-Qaddafi sympathisers. However, locals have told the Libya Herald that tensions had been rising in the town in recent weeks because of the behaviour of the SSC forces. They also said that Friday’s fighting was a continuation of Wednesday’s.

The ministry source said that the troops, who had returned to Tripoli with the bodies of their colleagues, had demanded to see the two ministers to find why promised support had never materialized. The support reportedly had included troop reinforcements and weapons after the SSC had run out of ammunition and some of them had been captured.

The SSC claimed that that the Interior Ministry had also promised to send ambulance vehicles, but this did not happen either.

The source also said that other security battalions in Tripoli had joined the demonstrators outside the Rixos Hotel. He mentioned troops from Suq Al-Juma, the home of some of those killed in Brak.

Additional reporting by Michel Cousins. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Egyptians break up Libya visa forging operation in Cairo

Disarmament of Militias in Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.