No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyans held in Iraq expected home “in 48 hours”

byMichel Cousins
September 8, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 8 September.

Eight Libyans being held in Iraq are expected to return to Libya in the next 48 hours, . . .[restrict]the Libya Herald has been told by the Minister of Justice, Ali Ashour Ehmida.

A team lead by the Deputy Justice Minister, Khalifa Ashur, is in Baghdad to take custody of the eight and bring them back. According to the Justice Minister, the four have already been handed over to his deputy. There were problems over documentation with the other four but that was expected to be resolved quickly.

The eight have not been named but are believed to be the same eight who at the end of June were ordered to be released by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki. According to the Iraqi official in charge of relations with Libya, Hazem Jabouri, they had been jailed for fighting against Iraqi and coalition forces.

RELATED POSTS

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Taha Shakshuki of the Libyan Group for Demanding Libyan Prisoners Abroad says that the eight were all serving seven-year sentences, the maximum for taking up arms against Iraqi forces. Almost all, he adds, are from the east of the country, from Derna, Tobruk and Ajdabiya.

On Wednesday government spokesman Nasser Al-Manaa announced that a team would be going to Iraq to see about bringing Libyan prisoners home.  There had been a “breakthrough” in the case, he said. As a result, a new era in Libyan-Iraqi relations was anticipated.

Iraqi reports have in the past claimed there were as many as 200 Libyans held in Iraq on various offences. Some were said to be members of Al-Qaeda. Libyan officials, however, say there are far fewer. Last month, Manaa said there were just 18 Libyan prisoners in Iraq although the number of Libyans who had gone missing there was higher — around 80, he said. Their whereabouts, however, were unknown.

Shahshuki puts the number of Libyans in Iraqi jails at 22. All had been been convicted. They include the eight about to be released and four who have been sentenced to death. The rest have been sentenced to life imprisonment. Those on death row include one who was convicted of planting a bomb in a market which killed 11 Shiites, Shakshuki said.

It appears those on death row will not be released.  Shakshuki says that the Libyan government is not seeking the release of those convicted of crimes such as murder.

Two Libyans are reported to have been executed already in Iraq.

The issue of Libyans held in Iraqi jails has been on-going for several months.  In February, Manaa flew to Baghdad in vain to try and negotiate their release.  At the time, he was told by Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki that that the matter had to remain in the hands of the Iraqi courts. They had “the sole right to consider this matter”.   Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari likewise said that while Iraq wanted to solve the issue of Libyan prisoners in the country, it had to be done “on a legal and judicial basis”.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Expansion work starts on Benghazi Medical Centre

Libyan war documentary at Venice Film Festival

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.