No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The second round of presidential elections will coincide with the parliamentary elections: HNEC

bySami Zaptia
October 24, 2021
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(HNEC).

Tripoli, 24 October 2021:

The second round of Libya’s planned presidential elections will coincide with the country’s parliamentary elections. The revelation was made by the head of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC), Emad Al-Sayeh, at a press conference in Tripoli today.

The press conference was held to give some more details about HNEC’s thinking and plans for the controversial 24 December 2021 elections. There had been speculation that Al-Sayeh might use the press conference to announce a delay of the elections based on technical reasons.

Al-Sayeh said that the presidential and parliamentary elections will be synchronization in terms of procedures, and that the polling day for the first round of electing the head of state will be determined based on a proposal submitted by HNEC to the House of Representatives for approval.

RELATED POSTS

228 Municipal Elections candidates being pursued for criminal incidents: Attorney General’s Office

France, Germany, Italy, the UK and US welcome 58 municipal election results across Libya

The second round of the presidential elections will coincide with the parliamentary elections also on a polling day proposed by HNEC and approved by the House of Representatives.

Moreover, he results of each of the two processes will be announced simultaneously when each of them is completed.

Al-Sayeh described that day as: ‘‘The day when we go to the polls, away from ammunition boxes and bullets, the day when no voice rises above the voice and will of the Libyans.

He also announced the process of publishing the lists of registered voters tomorrow (Monday, 25 October) at the polling stations, in order to allow stakeholders to appeal within 48 hours from the date of publication.

He called on voters to make sure that their names are in the polling centres where they had registered, in preparation for receiving their electoral card at a later time.

Al-Sayeh also announced that the endorsement lists forms that the electoral laws required of the candidates will be published today on HNEC’s official media pages, but only as a proactive step to give enough time for the candidates to prepare and submit them as soon as the official door for nomination opens.

Regarding opening the door for candidacy registration, Al-Sayeh said that it will be available once the necessary technical and logistical preparations for this stage are completed, indicating that it will be launched in the first half of November in conjunction with the process of distributing voter cards.

This statement led to increased speculation by some observers that it makes the postponement of elections even more likely as it gives very little time (one and a half months) for the electorate to get to know their candidates – which would undermine the integrity of the electoral process.

Al-Sayeh also referred to legal and judicial guarantees and said in this regard: “We have a well-established judicial apparatus, whose expertise we are proud of, and whose stature we revere, and let us all refer to it in pursuit of building a state of law and institutions.’’

At the conclusion of his speech, the HNEC head sent a message of reassurance to the Libyan people and all political parties that HNEC will not deviate from its pledges and commitments towards implementing free and fair elections that guarantee the rights and consensus of all, without leniency with any attempt to undermine its reputation or infringe on its procedures.

 

High State Council calls on HNEC to cease working with the election laws promulgated unilaterally by HoR | (libyaherald.com)

Holding parliamentary elections 30 days after the 24 December 2021 presidential elections – some reflections | (libyaherald.com)

New parliamentary election law based on individual not parties or list system | (libyaherald.com)

HoR approves parliamentary election laws | (libyaherald.com)

No one should have veto over electoral legislation – voters should be trusted by Libyan political elite: U.S. Ambassador Norland | (libyaherald.com)

UNSMIL commends positive atmosphere at Rabat HoR-HSC meeting – no clear outcome on elections | (libyaherald.com)

High State Council proposes alternative constitutional basis, parliamentary and presidential rules for holding 24 December elections – Another obstructionist move? | (libyaherald.com)

Presidential election law ‘‘approved’’ by HoR and sent to HNEC and UNSMIL- HSC rejects it | (libyaherald.com)

HoR Committee completes drafts of 2021 election laws at Rome meeting | (libyaherald.com)

HoR Committee arrives in Rome for four-day deliberations on election laws | (libyaherald.com)

While acting as technical advisor in the HoR-HNEC Rome meeting, UNSMIL urges HoR and HSC to work together on constitutional basis for elections | (libyaherald.com)

LPDF Proposals Bridging Committee meets virtually in effort to agree on constitutional basis for elections | (libyaherald.com)

Economic Working Group urges Libyan stakeholders to find compromise solutions on stalled 2021 budget, progressing unification and provide urgent services to Libyans | (libyaherald.com)

HoR to hold session ‘‘to complete’’ budget law, election law, electoral districts, and the position of head of Intelligence | (libyaherald.com)

While acting as technical advisor in the HoR-HNEC Rome meeting, UNSMIL urges HoR and HSC to work together on constitutional basis for elections | (libyaherald.com)

HoR Committee arrives in Rome for four-day deliberations on election laws | (libyaherald.com)

Spoilers and status quo forces are obstructing holding of December elections: Kubis to UNSC | (libyaherald.com)

Over 51,000 new voters recorded on the electoral register | (libyaherald.com)

We must do everything to ensure potential internal and external spoilers do not derail Libyan elections: U.S. Representative to the United Nations | (libyaherald.com)

LPDF Bridging Committee met in effort to propose consensus on constitutional basis | (libyaherald.com)

Hafter calls on Aldabaiba government to implement the Berlin Agreement in full | (libyaherald.com)

Libya’s Presidency Council could issue constitutional basis decree to bypass political impasse – Koni | (libyaherald.com)

HoR has begun preparing election law: Saleh to Kubis | (libyaherald.com)

LPDF fails to reach consensus on constitutional basis for elections – Libyan elections in balance | (libyaherald.com)

Several LPDF members trying to insert “poison pills” to ensure elections will not happen: US Special Envoy | (libyaherald.com)

 

 

Tags: featuredHNEC head Emad Al-SayehHNEC High National Elections Commission

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Albadaiba urges private sector and banks to become more active. Calls for end of glass ceiling to Libyans’ increased participation in oil sector

Albadaiba urges private sector and banks to become more active. Calls for end of glass ceiling to Libyans’ increased participation in oil sector

Libya Herald exclusive: Responding to the prime minister’s call yesterday to the private sector and banks to do more, leading businessman Husni Bey responds

Libya Herald exclusive: Responding to the prime minister’s call yesterday to the private sector and banks to do more, leading businessman Husni Bey responds

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.