No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL dismayed by LNA aligned militias halting Traghen elections

bySami Zaptia
August 27, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 27 August 2020:

UNSMIL expressed its dismay by the halting of last Tuesday’s Traghen council elections by Libyan National Army (LNA)-aligned militias. The LNA is commanded by Khalifa Hafter.

In its statement on Tuesday, UNSMIL said that ‘‘Municipal Council elections represent the vitality of the democratic process at the local level and UNSMIL warmly welcomed the elections that took place in Ghat last week.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Turkey discuss increasing flights, including to Sebha

NDA launches construction of Sebha’s Rose Palace Hotel – implemented by Turkey’s Nova Global company

We are thus dismayed that today, in Traghen, an armed group affiliated with the “Libyan Arab Armed Forces” (LNA) , halted the elections scheduled for that municipality.

It is a fundamental human right of the citizens of Traghen, and elsewhere, to elect their municipal councils and we deeply regret that they have been prevented from exercising their rights. The Mission reminds all parties in Libya of their obligations to act in accordance with international law and calls on them to protect democratic processes across the country.

Sebha court reinstates Sebha’s elected council

Also last Tuesday, following the Tripoli government’s acceptance of the recent court decision to reinstate Sebha’s elected council, UNSMIL reported that its Acting Head, Acting, Stephanie Williams, spoke Monday with Sebha mayor al-Shawish Abdulsalam, who briefed her on the situation in Sebha and the challenges faced by the municipality.

UNSMIL said the mayor also briefed the Acting SRSG on the establishment of a Fezzan Municipalities Council. Williams pledged to set up a meeting between the UN team and Fezzan mayors to support the initiative.

It will be recalled that the internationally recognized government in Tripoli had set up a caretaker Council in Sebha to replace the elected Council which it accused of cooperating with Khalifa Hafter when Sebha was under Hafter’s control.

Tags: featuredKhalifa HafterLibya UNSMILLNA Libyan National ArmyMunicipality council electionsSebhaTraghen

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libyan imports to continue to be allowed to enter without Letters of Credit payment prerequisite

Libyan imports to continue to be allowed to enter without Letters of Credit payment prerequisite

With demonstrations and political unrest: UNSMIL urges calm, respect for rule of law and right to peaceful demonstration

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.