No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR member Salah Suhbi condemns Boris Johnson Sirte ‘‘dead bodies’’ comment

bySami Zaptia
October 4, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
HoR member Salah Suhbi condemns Boris Johnson Sirte ‘‘dead bodies’’ comment

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said yesterday at the Conservative Party Conference that businesses could turn Sirte into a Dubai as soon as Libyans ''clear the dead bodies away'' (Photo: BBC NEWS).

By Sami Zaptia.

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said yesterday at the Conservative Party Conference that businesses could turn Sirte into a Dubai as soon as Libyans ''clear the dead bodies away'' (Photo: BBC NEWS).
British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said yesterday at the Conservative Party Conference that businesses could turn Sirte into a Dubai as soon as Libyans ”clear the dead bodies away” (Photo: BBC NEWS).

London, 4 October 2017:

Condemnation has been growing of the comments made by British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson on Libya. Speaking at a fringe meeting at the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester yesterday, Johnson said that the Libyan city of Sirte could become the next Dubai – as soon as they ‘‘clear the dead bodies away’’.

Johnson said that ‘‘There is a group of UK businesspeople actually, I don’t know whether you’ve come across this, wonderful guys who, they literally have got a brilliant vision to turn Sirte into the next – with the help of the Municipality of Sirte – to turn it into the next Dubai. The only thing they have to do is clear the dead bodies away.’’

It is not clear whether Johnson was referring to dead bodies in general, those of Libyans who had sacrificed their lives fighting IS in Sirte or specifically the hundreds of IS bodies buried under rubble in that city.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

Either way, whether he was referring to the bodies of the dead IS terrorists under rubble, much of which was brought down by US bombing strikes by AFRICOM forces, or not – his comments have been seen to be insensitive and flippant towards dead human bodies.

It will be recalled that at a press conference in Tripoli last week (28 September) the head of Investigations at the Libyan Attorney General’s Office (AG), Sadek Assour, confirmed that besides the 780 IS dead bodies being held by authorities in mortuary refrigerators, there were hundreds of IS bodies still buried under the rubble in Sirte.

Speaking to Libya Herald by phone from Benghazi this morning, angry House of Representative (HoR) member Salah Suhbi said ‘‘It is cruel and unacceptable that the head of British diplomacy speaks and behaves in such a manner.’’

‘‘Is this a reflection of the British government’s current views on Libya? Because this is not the UK that I know’’, added Suhbi who would be considered a friend of the UK having held a high position previously at the British Council in Tripoli.

‘‘Keeping Boris Johnson or sacking him will be the difference between seeking ties and investments in Libya that are built through mutually beneficial partnerships and respectful friendship with Libyans – or built on “their dead bodies” if Boris gets his way!’’

Referring to the comments by the Foreign Secretary, Suhbi concluded ‘‘This is unheard of!’’

Meanwhile, Johnson has also been receiving condemnation in the UK too. Conservative Members of Parliament (MPs) have been lining up to condemn Johnson. Conservative MP for Cambridgeshire, Heidi Allen said ‘‘100% unacceptable for anyone, let alone foreign sec. Boris must be sacked for this. He does not represent my (conservative) party.’’

Conservative MP for Broxtowe Anna Soubry said ‘‘as I said yesterday Boris Johnson is embarrassing & PM should sack him’’, and conservative MP for Totnes Sarah Wollaston said ‘‘Demeaning jokes about real people murdered in Libya would be crass even from a stand up (comic); appalled to hear this from our Foreign Secretary’’

There have been ongoing calls for the resignation of Johnson at the Conservative Party Conference today.

Tags: British Foreign Secretary Boris JohnsonfeaturedHoR House of RepresentativesIS/ISIS/DAESHRujban HoR member Salah SuhbiSirteUS Africa Command AFRICOM

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Misrata bomb at law courts kills four: UPDATE

Misrata bomb at law courts kills four: UPDATE

Fire at immigration department building

Fire at immigration department building

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.