No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Running fight continues with Benghazi breakout terrorists: report

byNigel Ash
January 6, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Running fight continues with Benghazi breakout terrorists: report

A terrorist suspect captured today (Photo: socilal media)

Libya Herald reporters.

A terrorist suspect captured today (Photo: socilal media)
A terrorist suspect reportedly captured today (Photo: social media)

Benghazi, 6 January 2017:

Security forces are fighting terrorists east of Ajdabiya thought to be survivors of yesterday’s coordinated breakout during which it is now known that 21 police and soldiers were killed.

The escape from the invested enclaves of Ganfouda and Sabri came during a power blackout which appears to have been caused deliberately. A GECOL control room engineer has been arrested.

The main terrorist breakout was made by a column of vehicles that headed south towards Suluq.  Libyan National Army spokesman Ahmed Mismari said that in the running battle that followed, involving grounds forces and aircraft, all the terrorist trucks were destroyed, the last of them south of Ajdabiya.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The announcement may have been premature since today there are reports that two soldiers have died and four been wounded in fighting with terrorists in Saunnu to the east of Ajdabiya not far from the B11 inland highway linking the town to Tobruk.

Another military source said that eight armed vehicles had been caught in a village south-east of Ajdabiya. A number of men was captured.  At least one of them, named as Ashraf Al-Ruq, was transferred to Marj.  It is understood that reconnaissance flights in search of further vehicles have been conducted as far west as Harawa.

Details are less clear over the outcome of the two other breakouts, from the north side of Ganfouda and from Sabri. Early reports were that a car bomb failed to detonate in LNA lines when the terrorists broke through.  In Sabri, an armour-plated vehicle was stopped and three terror suspects were killed but others managed to get through.  In what may have been a separate incident at another Sabri checkpoint, suicide bombers were shot down before they detonate their explosive vests, which were thereafter defused.

Later two policemen were shot dead outside Benghazi Medical Centre but the identity and fate of the culprits has not been given.

Benghazi Security Director Salah Huwaidi has insisted that security in the city is under control. A state of emergency is still in force but life on the streets has returned to normal.

Meanwhile the city’s Investigation Department head, Lieutenant-Colonel Ashraf Faydi has  said that a Palestinian woman has been arrested at her home near the port on suspicion of spying. Faydi alleged that the unnamed woman had links to the Hamas party in Palestine and had confessed to filming military movements and reporting them to the terrorists.  Her laptop had been seized.

Tags: ajdabiyafeaturedGanfoudaISLibyaLNAmasriSabri

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Ageela Saleh in Tunis, Sewehli in Algiers, as neighbouring states step up efforts for solution to Libya crisis

Ageela Saleh in Tunis, Sewehli in Algiers, as neighbouring states step up efforts for solution to Libya crisis

Wissam Ben Hamid dead says arrested Ansar spokesman; 13 militants reported to have blown themselves up

Wissam Ben Hamid dead says arrested Ansar spokesman; 13 militants reported to have blown themselves up

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.