No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj government says Gharian still under its full control despite two failed LNA attempts

bySami Zaptia
August 30, 2019
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The Serraj Tripoli government says it is still in full control of Gharian despite two failed attempts by Hafter’s LNA to recapture the city(Logo: PC/GNA).

London, 30 August 2019:

Interior Ministry spokesman of the Faiez Serraj-led Presidency Council and Government of National Accord insisted yesterday that the situation in the Western Nefousa Mountain City of Gharian were ‘‘under the military control of the (Tripoli-based) Libyan Army’s Joint Operations Room of the Government of National Accord’’ and the security components of the Ministry of Interior, primarily the Gharian Security Directorate.

The spokesman of the Ministry of Interior, during a press statement read out at the media centre of the Prime Minister’s Office in Tripoli, said “We stand with pride and respect, to our sons and brother members of the Libyan army and the military and security support force, who defeated the legions of aggression and cleansed the city of Gharian from fragments of evil.”

He added that the battle is a battle between ‘‘right and wrong’’.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

The Tripoli statement on Gharian comes on the back of two failed attempts within one week by the Khalifa Hafter-led Libyan National Army (LNA) to recapture the city

On 20 August, LNA forces in Arban, between Gharian and Tarhuna, tried unsuccessfully to head towards Gharian via the Ghoat Al-Riah checkpoint south of the town.

A second attempt started on Sunday 25, when forces came from both Al-Asaba (south-west of Gharian) and again from Arban, supported by LNA airstrikes. However, it now seems that GNA reinforcements forced the LNA to retreat on Monday after two days of clashes. GNA forces also claimed to capture one of the LNA commanders, Brig. Fawzi Buhrara, previously head of the LNA’s Gharian operations room. Its reported he was captured not on the battlefield but hiding near Gharian.

There were reports of casualties on both sides.  The GNA said it had lost 8 men.  It reportedly killed a number of LNA fighters, but the latter does not generally disclose casualty figures. 

Drone strikes have continued by both sides.  LNA drones hit part of Gharian on Tuesday and according to the LNA, GNA drones hit Al-Asaba and allegedly killed four civilians.

On Sunday, the day before the LNA retreated, LNA media were celebrating the new Gharian offensive and talking of a “second axis” against the GNA being launched. 

However, there are suggestions that neither of the two Gharian offensives were initially ordered by the LNA high command but were promoted by pro-LNA forces in the Gharian area which the LNA then had to support.

The failure of the two Gharian attacks by the LNA indicates their inability to make any serious inroads into territory defended by the pro-Tripoli forces and raises serious question marks about their abilities to make any progress in this war that they launched on 4 April in ‘‘liberating’’ Tripoli.

It raises questions about their military strategies, tactics and capabilities.

It will be recalled that the Khalifa Hafter LNA and their allied forces suffered a major set back on 26 June when the Tripoli forces pushed them out of Gharian. The attack had been supported by air strikes. The pro Hafter forces had been in control of the mountain city of Gharian since the eve of the launch by Hafter of the Tripoli attack on 4 April.

Climbing the steep and usually easily defendable road up to Gharian was a major success for the Tripoli forces and the Hafter forces have been on the back foot ever since.

For example, during Libya’s 2011 revolution the Qaddafi troops had difficulty ascending the road – which was successfully defended from the advantage of height by anti Qaddafi forces.

Gharian was a major strategic launch point for the pro Hafter forces and its road offers vital access to the south and centre of Libya. Its permanent loss has affect supply lines and the dynamics of the Tripoli fighting. It could be a game changer.

The Gharian loss also weakened the pro-Hafter forces concentrated down on the plane in and around the disused Tripoli International Airport, leaving them isolated and vulnerable.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2019/06/26/hafter-forces-suffer-setback-as-they-lose-gharian/

Tags: Faiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedGharianKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National Army

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Serraj government and UN condemn Mitiga airport bombing

Serraj government and UN condemn Mitiga airport bombing

Eastern Libyan government contracts Bank of Commerce and Development to build Benina airport terminal

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.