No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL rejects HoR election of Shukri as central bank governor, says Elkaber still in place

byMichel Cousins
December 22, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UNSMIL rejects HoR election of Shukri as central bank governor, says Elkaber still in place

UN special envoy Ghassan Salamé (left) with HoR president Ageela Saleh (centre) and HoR second deputy president Ahmed Huma in Tobruk yesterday (Photo: UNSMIL)

By Hadi Fornaji

UN special envoy Ghassan Salamé (left) with HoR president Ageela Saleh (centre) and HoR second deputy president Ahmed Huma in Tobruk yesterday (Photo: UNSMIL)
UN special envoy Ghassan Salamé (left) with HoR president Ageela Saleh (centre) and HoR second deputy president Ahmed Huma in Tobruk yesterday (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 20 December 2017:

The UN Special Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has rejected yesterday’s decision by the House of Representatives to appoint Mohamed Al-Shukri as governor of the Central Bank of Libya (CBL). It says that it contravenes Article 15 of the Libyan Political Agreement. This says that “the House of Representatives shall consult with the State Council” in order to reach a consensus on appointments to a number of posts. These conclude the governorship of the CBL.

The head of the State Council, Abdulrahman Sewehli, had already last night refused to accept the election of Shukri as did the CBL in Tripoli.

In a tweet last night Sewehli similarly rejected the HoR vote as a unilateral act that contravened the LPA’s Article 15. The HoR, he said, could not act in such a way because it derived its legitimacy from the LPA.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

A statement last night from the CBL in Tripoli, unsigned but thought to be instigated by Elkaber, took the same line, likewise saying the vote went against Article 15.

The UNSMIL declaration puts it in open conflict with HoR which takes the view that the LNA is not yet in force because it has not yet voted it into law as an amendment to the 2011 Constitutional Declaration.

Ironically, until now, that was the view of UNSMIL, many foreign governments and international organisations, when they said that the LPA and the institutions emanating from it had not ceased to exist on 17 December. Their argument was that the two-year deadline in the agreement signed in Skhirat on 17 December 2015 had not been hit because the LPA was not yet in force as it had yet not been legalised by the HoR.

With the argument now on whether the LPA is operational or not, it is not clear if the subject was discussed in talks yesterday in Tobruk between UNSMIL head Ghassan Salamé and HoR president Ageela Saleh. According to an UNSMIL statement, they discussed the implementation of Salamé’s action plan and elections. There was no mention of the election a CBL governor, although it was widely reported beforehand that an HoR vote-to-appoint would take place this week.

Tags: featuredGhassan SalaméLibya HoRUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libyan writers push authorities to help author Gawairi

Libyan writers push authorities to help author Gawairi

Salamé among Misrata mourners as new mayor begins work

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.