By Libya Herald reporter.
Tunis, 12 August 2017:
The health minister in the interim government based in Beida has denied suggestions he has been forced to request a three-week leave of absence because of questions surrounding the possible employment of healthcare workers from Uganda.
Three months ago, the ministry denied there were any plans to employ Ugandan medical staff in the east of the country. This week, though, a Ugandan delegation arrived in Benghazi this week to assess the security situation in the city ahead of deciding to give the green light to Ugandan doctors and health staff to work there.
The suggestion has been that the ministry has not been transparent in the matter.
The break had nothing to do with Uganda, Reida El–Oakey told the Libya Herald.
“I only need a holiday,” he said, and most of it would in any event be in Benghazi. Moreover, despite reports that he would take off as of today, he said that he had been at his desk throughout the day and would there too for a while on Sunday.
Interim prime minister Abdullah Al-Thinni is reported to have asked Abdelrahman Lahersh to stand in as acting health minister while Oakey is on leave.