No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

BREAKING: LNA says tonight it has taken last Benghazi militant positions

byNigel Ash
July 10, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
BREAKING: LNA says tonight it has taken last Benghazi militant positions

LNA troops move through Sidi Akribesh (Photo: supplied)

By Libya Herald reporters.

LNA troops move through Sidi Akribesh (Photo: supplied)
LNA troops move through Sidi Akribesh (Photo: social media)

Benghazi, 9 July 2017:

Libyan National Army (LNA)  sources are claiming the deaths and capture of “dozens” of militants this evening as the final buildings in the Sidi Akribesh part of Benghazi’s Sabri district were overrun after four days of bitter fighting. There are unconfirmed reports that two more soldiers were killed in the last hours of the battle.

At least 22 members of the LNA have thus met their deaths in the four days since armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter declared final victory  in Benghazi.

Troops are tonight still sweeping the Sidi Akribesh area looking for militants who may have managed to escape the dragnet or have gone into hiding.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Meanwhile more mass graves are coming to light.  Besides the ten bodies found yesterday in a Sabri school, some 20 more have been discovered in another school and on the beach. The corpses have not yet been identified. The Red Crescent is helping with their removal and DNA samples are being taken in an effort to find out who these people were.

Raw sewage swilling outside the Sabri clinic (Photo: social media)
Raw sewage swilling outside the Sabri clinic (Photo: social media)

While the battles since May, when the LNA assault began, have left many buildings wrecked they have also badly damaged water pipes and drains.  In some areas, for instance outside the Sabri clinic, raw sewage and water from burst mains is in places two metres deep and submerging abandoned cars.

Fixing this environmental danger is clearly going to be the more difficult because of the unexploded shells and booby traps that still litter large parts of both Suq Al-Hout and Sabri.

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLbyan National ArmyLibyaSabrisewageSidi AkribeshSuq Al-Hout

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Saudis extraditing four Libyans to Egypt

LNA soldiers injured when trapped Benghazi militant blows himself up

LNA soldiers injured when trapped Benghazi militant blows himself up

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.