No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC cuts short-term deal with Wintershall as contractual dispute talks continue

byNigel Ash
June 14, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Wintershall logo

Tripoli, 13 June 2017:

German oil firm Wintershall has reached a partial agreement with the National Oil Corporation (NOC) which will bring 160,000 bpd of production back on stream. However there is yet to be a full settlement of the dispute over contractual changes to favourable lifting contracts to which NOC insists Wintershall agreed and then reneged.

Since this March, NOC has excluded the German company from loading plans at the Zuetina terminal. This has meant the shutdown of Wintershall’s NC 96 and NC 97 fields as well as the linked Abouatiffel, 103A and Nafoora fields. NOC chief Mustafa Sanalla has put the lost revenue at $1 billion a month.

RELATED POSTS

Britain’s Harbour Energy buys Wintershall Dea in US$ 11.2 bn deal

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

It seems possible that this temporary settlement was nursed by the German government. A month ago the German ambassador Christian Buck met Sanalla who urged him to help resolve the dispute. The deal announced today allows Wintershall to take only sufficient production to cover its costs with the rest going to NOC .

Alone among all the foreign oil companies operating in Libya, Wintershall had avoided moving from its historic 1956 concession agreement to a less generous Exploration and Production Sharing Agreement (ESPA).  NOC maintains that in 2010 the Germans agreed to change to the standard ESPA in return for extending its 60 year concession which was going to run out last year. NOC says Wintershall has since pulled back from the new arrangement.

The dispute has yet to be settled and today Sanalla said that the state company had reserved all its legal rights and would ensure that Libya’s interests were upheld.

However he is clearly relieved that a large lump of Libyan production has been restored.

“This shutdown was enormously costly to Libya ” he said, “I hope we can now get on with the business of meeting our oil production targets without interruptions”. He added that total oil production was now 830,000 bpd and NOC was targeting a million barrels by the end of next month.

Tags: Christian BuckdisputefeaturedLibyaNOCWintershall

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Sanalla warns Thinni, commends LNA's "wise" opposition to export blockades

Arrested Dutch activist Snitjer released

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.