No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Shock at revelation that Manchester suicide killer was Libyan

byMichel Cousins
May 24, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Ali.

Tripoli, 24 May 2017:

Libyans are in shock this afternoon after hearing that the Manchester suicide bomber was from their country.

British police named Salman Abedi, a Libyan-British dual national, as the killer although his Libyan National ID registration reportedly names him as Sulaiman Abedi. Although the family are originally from the east, from Guba, his father was born in Tripoli.

Many in the country are upset because they had hoped to rid it of terrorism and instability, marking a new, positive period. Now, however, they fear the outside world will fear Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“It is disappointing and I offer my condolences to the victims and their families. I can feel them and wish them to not think that all Libyans are terrorists,” Mousa Al-Naili told the Libya Herald.

“It is so sad to hear this news. I can’t understand why this guy has made this terrible act. My deep condolences to all British people,” Aisha Zaatut, a Libyan housewife said.

On the other hand, some Libyan observers and journalists, despite their sorrow at the events, have blamed the British government.

Reda Fhelboom, a well-known Libyan journalist who previously lived for many years in Manchester, said that Britain was paying the price for sheltering extremists. “Britain grants them asylum and rights of residency and now it is paying the price for disregarding their extreme ideology,” he said.

“To hear that those responsible for the attack are Libyan wasn’t a surprise to me since I know that there are many Libyan extremists living in Manchester,” he added.

The same thing was said by prominent analyst Mohamed Eljarh who tweeted that “many Libyan Islamists (LIFG in particular) who fled the Qaddafi regime took refuge in the UK & Manchester is a big centre for them”.

There are unconfirmed reports that Abedi’s father had supported LIFG.

However, the Libyans most affected are those who are living in the UK. The Libya Herald has managed to speak with Ubadah Al-Jabri, a Libyan now based in Manchester.

“Living in Manchester for almost eight years I found it to be a very peaceful city with many religions living in harmony. Hearing this terrible news is both very shocking and upsetting.”

“They have killed women and children, for what reason? Do they think they are going to paradise? The Quran and our Prophet Mohamed have never said that.

“It is senseless and no one deserves this. Where do they get these ideas from? No religion tells us to kill ourselves and others. If by killing we go to paradise everyone would be doing it. As a Libyan I feel I will now be seen to be like them. So sad.”

Tags: LibyaManchester

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Manchester bomber's brother and father arrested in Tripoli

Toddlers among 34 migrants to die in Mediterranean today

Toddlers among 34 migrants to die in Mediterranean today

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.