No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA takes Tamenhint airbase as Misratans withdraw north

byNigel Ash
May 26, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Ellawati.

Tamenhint airbase and airport (Photo: Social medi)
Tamenhint airbase and airport (Photo: Social medi)

Benghazi, 25 May 2017:

The Libyan National Army (LNA) has retaken Tamenhint airbase from mainly Misratan fighters, its spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari said today.

He said the Misratan 13th Brigade, formerly the Third Force, withdrew from Tamenhint and headed north to Jufra. There are reports that some Islamist elements that were with them have escaped and are said to be operating south of Sirte.

The spokesman of the LNA’s 12th Brigade, Mohamed Lifrais, told the Libya Herald his unit had captured a group of Chadian fighters. The advance on Tamenhint was supported by the LNA’s 116th Brigade.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Misrata’s 13th Brigade and its allies, who include the Islamist Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB), are alleged to have made frequent use of Chadian mercenaries.

The LNA’s success in taking over Tamenhint comes after its humiliating defeat at the neighbouring Brak Al-Shatti airbase on 18 May when the Misratans and BDB forces met minimal resistance as they attacked. In the subsequent massacre some 141 LNA soldiers and civilians were executed.

Tribal figures in the south last week gave the 13th Brigade 72 hours to vacate the region. Some tribal militias have been supporting the LNA.

The Misratan withdrawal from Tamenhint was preceded by their quitting the Sharara oil field, which was handed over earlier this week to a Tuareg militia led by Ali Kana. Locals report that the transfer was peaceful.

The Misratans took Sharara in late 2014 with the help of Tuareg militias, forcing out the Tebu and Zintani Petroleum Facilties Guards who had been protecting it. Since then production has been erratic because of the frequent disruption of pipelines taking oil and gas to the coast.

Tags: 12th Brigade13th BrigadefeaturedLibyaLNAMisratanTamenhint

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Serraj tells British PM they must work together on terrorism

Serraj tells British PM they must work together on terrorism

LNA's Derna blockade to be eased for Ramadan

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.