No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC denies reports of El-Fil oilfield reopening

byMichel Cousins
May 14, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
NOC denies reports of El-Fil oilfield reopening

The Minister of Defense, "Mahdi Barghouthi" and the commander of oil installations guards, "Idris Abuhmada" announce from the # the resumption of the operation of the oil field # Elephant, and the agreement on the formation (the development of the Merzk Basin) and promises to meet the requirements of protesters in the region.

By Moutaz Ali.

The Minister of Defense, "Mahdi Barghouthi" and the commander of oil installations guards, "Idris Abuhmada" announce from the # the resumption of the operation of the oil field # Elephant, and the agreement on the formation (the development of the Merzk Basin) and promises to meet the requirements of protesters in the region.
PC defence minister Mahdi Barghathi (2nd right) and PFG head  Idris Abuhmada (1st right) at an event in Murzuk announcing the reopening of the El-Fil field yesterday (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 21 April 2017:

Reports that production at the southwestern El-Fil oilfield has been reopened have been denied by the National Oil Corporation (NOC).

“The NOC would like to explain that the field is still under force majeure because technically it cannot be operated without electrical power coming from the Sharara field,” the NOC’s media office told the Libya Herald.

“As far as it is concerned, the Sharara field is still shut because of the closure of Reyayna pipeline,” a spokesman explained.

RELATED POSTS

National Oil Corporation, Eni, BP, and Libyan Investment Authority consortium preparing to drill first deepwater exploratory well in Sirte Basin

Eni and BP resume operations in Libya, Repsol and OMV to start within weeks: NOC

On Wednesday, the Presidency Council’s defence minister, Mahdi Barghathi, visited El-Fil field. In a joint statement with Idris Boukhamada, head of the PC’s Petroleum Facilities Guard, at an event in Murzuk at which the field was declared open again, they said the move would improve the situation for local people.

In its denial of the reopening, the NOC again called for the immediate and unconditional opening of all fields and and pipeline valves, pointing out that for the economy to revive there had to be a major increase in oil production.

Having reopened in December after a two-year closure, the valves on the pipeline from El-Fil were again turned off three weeks ago by gunmen who complained that they were not seeing any economic benefits from the country’s oil wealth. However, there are claims that the real reason was related to smuggling issues.

The field is operated by Italy’s Eni. Prior to last month’s closure, it and the nearby Sharara field, operated by Akakus, a NOC joint venture with Spain’s Repsol, were producing some 250,000 b/d.

Tags: El-FilEnifeaturedLibyaNOCSharara

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Libya’s Liquidity Crunch and the Dinar’s Demise: Psychological and Macroeconomic Dimensions of the current crisis

Libya’s Liquidity Crunch and the Dinar’s Demise: Psychological and Macroeconomic Dimensions of the current crisis

Algeria’s Messahel continues Libya trip with Serraj, Sewehli, Zintan and Misrata meeting

Algeria’s Messahel continues Libya trip with Serraj, Sewehli, Zintan and Misrata meeting

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.