No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni looks to protect Libya’s archaeological heritage.

byMichel Cousins
March 24, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Thinni looks to protect Libya’s archaeological heritage.

The Greek theatre in Balagrae, Beida (Photo: Social media)

 

By Hadi Fornaji.

The Greek theatre in Balagrae, Beida (Photo: Social media)
The Greek theatre in Balagrae, Beida (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 24 March 2017:

The interim government in Beida is looking at how to deal with the growing threat to Libya’s archaeological heritage. The issue was under the spotlight yesterday in talks between prime minister Abdullah Al-Thinni and some of the country’s antiquities and cultural chiefs.

There have been repeated and growing warnings of late from local and international academics and archaeologists that the country’s archaeological sites are at risk from urban encroachment as well as from thieves and vandals.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

A conference on Libyan heritage in Tunis a fortnight ago was told by a number of Libyan and foreign archaeologists and specialists, including the head of the French Archaeological Mission to Libya, that the country’s archaeological treasures were in danger of being lost forever.  A UNESCO conference in Paris at the same time was told much the same news.

Since the 2011 revolution a lack of effective government meant that uncontrolled construction and urbanisation have mushroomed around historic sites, notably Cyrene, the Tunis conference was told. In some cases, archaeological remains were actually being bulldozed. In others, it had been a case of theft or sheer vandalism.

In yesterday’s discussions – attended by media, culture and civil society authority Khalid Najem,  Ahmed Abdul-Jalil from the Antiquities Authority and local Beida antiquities head  Abdullah Al-Mabrouk –it was agreed that raising public awareness of the country’s rich legacy was the best way to deal with the problem, and that this should be done by using the media.

Additionally, it was decided that the work of the competent authorities to protect the sites should be expanded and developed.

It was also agreed that there should be greater interaction between the tourism and antiquities authorities as well as the creation of body to look after the ruins in Beida of Balagrae, one of the cities of the Pentapolis. These have been left to nature to reclaim them after excavations in 2001/2.

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinniBalagraeBeidafeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Visas applications for Italy will restart in Tripoli in April

Applications for Haj season start

Applications for Haj season start

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.