No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Egyptian terrorist named amid contradictory claims on the Benghazi terrorist breakout

byNigel Ash
January 8, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Egyptian terrorist named amid contradictory claims on the Benghazi terrorist breakout

The passport of the Egyptian terror suspect (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

The passport of the Egyptian terror suspect (Photo: social media)
The passport of the Egyptian terror suspect (Photo: social media)

Benghazi, 7 January 2017:

One of the terrorists killed yesterday in the fighting to the east of Ajdabiya has been identified as a 36 year-old Egyptian on whose body were found some US dollars as well as Saudi and Turkish currency and a quantity of jewellery.

Sources say that he was Mahmoud Kamel who joined Ansar Al-Sharia in Benghazi in December 2013 and took the nom de guerre Abu Rabiei Al-Muhajir.

There have been press reports today that Benghazi militant leader Wissam Ben Hamid is not in fact dead.  Ansar Al-Sharia spokesman Naizar Jalal Atwier reportedly told his Libyan National Army captors yesterday that Ben Hamid had been killed in an airstrike at the end of December.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Sources in the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council were quoted by the Libyan Express saying that Ben Hamid was alive and well and still fighting in Benghazi.

Meanwhile the spokesman for the Bunyan Marsous operation, Brigadier Mohamed Al-Ghasri has said on television LNA chief Khalifa Hafter had colluded in the escape of IS from Benghazi.  Ghasri said that he had information that clearly showed that Hafter had facilitated the withdrawal of the terrorists from the city to Bani Walid. He did not reveal any details.

However, LNA forces have yet to occupy the remaining Benghazi terrorist enclaves of Ganfouda, Sabri and Suq Al-Hut where, according to the BRSC statement, Ben Hamid is still fighting and has not apparently taken advantage of any deal struck with Hafter.

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBunyan MarsousfeaturedGhasriISLibyaLNAWissam Ben Hamid

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Terror suspect says Tunisian journalists murdered in 2014

Terror suspect says Tunisian journalists murdered in 2014

Libya’s first major shopping mall opens in Tarhouna

Libya's first major shopping mall opens in Tarhouna

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.