No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“Change Central Bank policy, sack Elkaber” says chambers of commerce chairman Mohamed Raied

byMichel Cousins
December 3, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet. 

Mohamed Raeid
Mohamed Raied (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 1 December 2016:

The Central Bank of Libya and its governor Saddek Elkaber are one of the main problems facing the Presidency Council, Mohemed Raied has said.

“They need to change the banking system”, Raied told the Libya Herald. “It’s shown it’s failed”. As for Elkaber he had to be replaced. “He wants to starve Libyans”, he claimed, saying that the governor was deliberately sabotaging the Libyan economy in order to bring down the Presidency Council.

He was speaking on the sidelines of Monday’s conference in Tunis on creating entrepreneurship in Libya at which Elkaber was slated to speak but did not turn up.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Others attending the conference also privately accused Elkaber of deliberately stopping the banks handing out cash in order to turn the public against the PC and its head, Faiez Serraj. “He’s doing it on someone else’s behalf,” claimed one top Libyan official who did not want to be named.

Serraj himself, in his interview last month with this newspaper, accused the CBL governor of being a spoiler.

Raied, who is Misrata’s leading businessman as well as a member of the House of Representatives, also said that the dinar should be devalued, to between LD 3 and LD 4 to the dollar. He further called for subsidies on foodstuffs and fuel to be replaced.

With more and more Libyans losing trust in the banks and being unwilling to deposit their money, the cash crisis was becoming worse, he said, further pressurising the government to print more money. However, while there needed to be a fresh approach within the CBL, privatising the banks was not a solution to the problem, Raied said that

“But there needs to be urgent measures”, he said, and in its response the CBL had to be seen supporting the government.

Elkaber’s term of office ran out a couple of months ago but he has managed to hang on because under the Libyan Political Agreement, a new appointement needs to approved by both the Tobruk-based House of Representatives and High State Council.

Neither recognise each other and so are not speaking to each other.

Tags: Central Bank of LibyafeaturedLibyaSaddek Elkaber

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Fighting in Tripoli as pro-PC forces move to crush militants

Fighting in Tripoli as pro-PC forces move to crush militants

IS uses female suicide bombers in Sirte

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.