No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Russia slams foreign special forces training for militias

byNigel Ash
September 24, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Russia slams foreign special forces training for militias

Russian deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov (File photo)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Russian deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov (File photo)
Russian deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov (Photo: Russian Foreign Ministry)

Tuns, 24 September 2016:

Russia has condemned countries that have sent special forces to train armed groups in Libya and said the Libyan National Army should not be overlooked in the rebuilding of security.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov called in New York yesterday for a systematic and consistent approach to Libya’s security.

“There are problems in this area because some countries have been conducting air strikes in certain areas of Libya.  They have also been sending Special Forces involved in training the armed groups. This approach only exacerbates animosity and disunites the Libyan people”.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

He said that it would be wrong to disregard the LNA which had been fighting terrorists in the east.

He insisted: “Only unified and strengthened security bodies can receive international military assistance within the restrictions imposed by the UN Security Council. The arms embargo should be scrupulously observed. At the same time, reliably monitoring the embargo is also important”.

Gatilov also told a ministerial meeting at the UN General Assembly “The situation in Libya is still unstable. The efforts to restore the stability and unity in the country after the illegal military intervention in 2011 have not yet been successful. The country’s future is still uncertain”.

But he went on to insist that the Libyan Political Agreement was still the basis for a political settlement.  He said that only through open dialogue could Libyans work out a political settlement and they could only accept a scheme that ruled out any external pressure.

He also repeated Russia’s reservations about sanctions. “The unilateral imposition of sanctions, as some countries have done, will not lead to a positive result”. The UN and UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler should work diligently “to engage the key politicians, the military, the representatives of the country’s regions and the tribes in the peace process, leaving no one behind”.

Moscow’s insistence on the LPA as the only option extends to its view first expressed in April that the Government of National Accord will have no standing until a cabinet selected by Faiez Serraj and his Presidency Council has been approved by the House of Representatives .

 

Tags: featuredGennady GatilovGNAHoRLibyaLPAPCRussiaUN

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
GNA-appointed LIA Interim Steering Committee holds expanded meeting in Tunis

GNA-appointed LIA Interim Steering Committee holds expanded meeting in Tunis

First-ever Libya Comic Convention held in Tripoli

First-ever Libya Comic Convention held in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.